Wireless Access

New Contributor

Wireless Best Practice / signal strength

Hi ,

I would like to know what is the wirless best practice while using Aruba like cisco says -67 DBM signal strength is considered as their best practice...so do we have any document which states about Aruba best practice in terms of signal level.

Guru Elite

Re: Wireless Best Practice / signal strength

-67 in practice is a good target across the board for all clients.  For more information, pleasesee "Optimizing Aruba WLANs for Roaming Devices" here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/wp-content/uploads/DG_Roaming.pdf

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.3 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
New Contributor

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for the document, I have gne through with the document but it says that its -67 dbm for vioce.......in my setup there is no voice only data.

So any document for best practice for data part ?

Guru Elite

Bhrt1266 wrote:

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for the document, I have gne through with the document but it says that its -67 dbm for vioce.......in my setup there is no voice only data.

So any document for best practice for data part ?

Bhrt,

That document accounts for the fact that you might have voice mixed into your population.   The indoor 802.11n site survey and planning document has good information and principles about the network you are interested in building: http://www.arubanetworks.com/wp-content/uploads/Indoor80211n_2012-05-31.pdf   

The -67 number depends on the voice handset manufacturer.  If you are not doing voice, the document above should suffice.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.3 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Occasional Contributor I

I was in site survey today and i was receiving signal strength on my mobile phone -93 dbm beside aruba 205 ap in instant mode and signal strength -80 dbm when moving away from the ap.
Is it logic?
Guru Elite

I would use Aruba utilities in the Android Store here to detemine signal strength.  In your screenshot, it could be the 4g signal strength, not the wifi strength...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.arubanetworks.arubautilities

ArubaOS 8.3 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: