Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Wireless Point of Sale devices

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Wireless Point of Sale devices

Posted Apr 27, 2018 09:16 AM

Hi,

I was asked about the possibility of bringing in a wireless POS device for debit and credit card transactions.

I don't know anything about these at all. I was just curious if anyone has any experience with wireless POS devices? Do they require a base? Or can you get ones that are purely wireless? Are there any special network requirements?

At this point I don't even know what kind of device they are going to suggest. I just wanted to reach out to you guys and see if anyone has done it before.

• 2.  RE: Wireless Point of Sale devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 27, 2018 11:12 AM

A wireless POS device could be something as simple as an iPad with a Square reader. 

Typically, it's going to depend more on what POS system is currently in place, and then whether they have specific wireless platforms or device support. The main network/security requirements will be ensuring PCI compliance ... ultimately configuration and auditing related, to ensure a secure wireless network.

• 3.  RE: Wireless Point of Sale devices

Posted Apr 27, 2018 03:24 PM

Thank you for your reply cclemmer.

I suspect it will not be an iPad unfortunately. I would actually prefer it to be that as I know those are easy to support on the wireless infrastructure.

My suspicion is that it will be one of those standard units from ingenico or one of the others. I could be wrong though of course.

I will have to wait and see what device they suggest. I will also need to look into the PCI compliance as I am not familiar with that.

• 4.  RE: Wireless Point of Sale devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 27, 2018 04:26 PM

If you have Airwave, I believe it provides a PCI report template that could be useful as well.

• 5.  RE: Wireless Point of Sale devices

Posted Apr 27, 2018 10:25 PM

I do have AirWave, unfortunately it is currently doing next to nothing as I still haven't figured out how it works exactly.

I will try and search for the report template though inside!

Thank you for that tip.