Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Wireless Survey wireless card orientation

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Wireless Survey wireless card orientation

Posted Feb 15, 2016 06:18 PM

I've done a couple of internal surveys and now I'm working on performing an outdoor survey via GPS. My question, is there a proper orientation for the wireless card that I'm using?  Should it be placed on the side usb connection (horizontal) or placed on the back of the monitor facing up (vertical)?

I've done a couple of test surveys and the data gathered is definately different depending on the location of the card.  

The card I'm using is a DLINK DWA-160, a recommended card by AirMagnet.  I've contacted DLINK, but they stated that the card has no orientation. 

• 2.  RE: Wireless Survey wireless card orientation

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 15, 2016 06:39 PM

Whatever you do, just make sure it is the same orientation for the whole survey.  Outdoor surveys vary greatly because outdoor RF varies greatly.  Having the card at the same orientation the whole time eliminates a variable that you can control.

• 3.  RE: Wireless Survey wireless card orientation

Posted Feb 15, 2016 06:45 PM

Ok, I think the only way to have the card orientated properly through the entire survey is to have it vertically mounted without any obstructions.

• 4.  RE: Wireless Survey wireless card orientation

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 15, 2016 06:55 PM

If that is what you believe, then do that....