Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Wireless mesh point issue

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  Wireless mesh point issue

Posted Aug 15, 2020 12:19 PM

I'm having a weird problem with a wireless mesh point. I'm trying to replace a 20 year old nortel switch that the 374IAP is connected to. The mesh is working while connected to the nortel switch. I've configured the ports as identical is I can. The Mesh Portal is also a 374, and the cluster is on v 8.6.0.4

When I connect the IAP to my new cisco 9300, the access point is no longer able to form the mesh. I can only assume that the problem is with the configuration on the cisco switch.

Here is my port configuration:

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/2
    description Mesh to offices
    switchport trunk native vlan 2527
    switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,908,909,2360,2507,2527,3407
    switchport mode trunk
    !

2527 is the management vlan for the access points. 

Any help is appreciated

• 2.  RE: Wireless mesh point issue

Posted Aug 15, 2020 03:16 PM

What was the mode of spanning tree running on the Nortel switch?

What was the Poe configuration in the Nortel switch?

• 3.  RE: Wireless mesh point issue

Posted Aug 15, 2020 06:36 PM

The nortel switch is using standard stp, fast learning is enabled. it doesnt support rstp, mstp or any other spanning tree protocol.

the nortel switch doesn't support PoE, so we are using a PoE injector.

• 4.  RE: Wireless mesh point issue

Posted Aug 15, 2020 06:47 PM

Could you verify that standard spanning tree is used on the cisco switch as well and that the ports required are in forwarding state?

• 5.  RE: Wireless mesh point issue

Posted Aug 17, 2020 08:07 AM

I'll be heading out there today to verify, I don't have portfast enabled on that port, but never checked the fowrarding state.

After looking this issue up some, I think it might be related to lldp. the 374 Poe requirements are over 15watts, and anything over 15watts on these cisco switches required LLDP or CDP to negotiate it. As it is cisco, they have lldp turned off by default. I'll try enabling lldp and the required tlvs for this port.

I think lldp/PoE might be the issue, as spanning tree wouldn't affect the mesh, but instead affect the connection between the switch and the AP.

• 6.  RE: Wireless mesh point issue
    Best Answer

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Aug 17, 2020 09:03 AM

Are you able to attach a console cable (or the BluConsole) AP to the IAP374 to see what is occurring? The IAP374 requires POE+ so therefore you will need to enable LLDP in order for the correct power to be delivered to the AP.