Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Wireless on Buses

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Wireless on Buses

Posted Mar 17, 2016 08:03 AM

Yesterday afternoon I was asked about providing wireless access on buses for our students. I wonder if a campus AP in RAP mode extending campus SSIDs, being fed through Verizon's network would work. I wonder if Verizon has a device with an Ethernet port and ideally with POE. Has anyone done something like this?

Thanks,
    Robert

• 2.  RE: Wireless on Buses

Posted Mar 18, 2016 12:02 AM

I know an IAP-225 supports a 3g/4g modem, but what if it's in RAP mode?  If so, that could be a solution; you'd just need to run power to the AP.  Alternatively, you could just use an actual RAP w/ 3g/4g modem.  I've used a Verizon modem connected to a RAP-155 and it worked really well, just never tried it on a bus. :)

• 3.  RE: Wireless on Buses

Posted Mar 18, 2016 08:22 AM

Thanks for the response and ideas. I've not used an AP with a cellular modem before. I'll do some digging to fill in the blanks. I'm talking with Verizon this afternoon. They might have some ideas too. Thanks.

• 4.  RE: Wireless on Buses

Posted Mar 23, 2016 04:41 PM

I'm trying to get a Verizon U602L USB modem to work with a RAP-105. The USB modem isn't in the select list and I've tried to follow examples of what others have tried with different modems to no avail. 

The Vendor ID is 1410 and the Product ID is 9020. I've verified the modem works on a Windows machine.

The following settings are set:

Check the USB Parameters checkbox.

Device - Other (Any)

Device Identifier - 0x14109020

Cellular NW Preference - auto

Link Priority Ethernet - 0

Device type - ether

Link Priority Cellular - 0 

To test, I'm plugging in the ethernet port. The RAP shows in the controller. I pull the ethernet port, assuming the USB modem will take over. It doesn't reconnect. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to debug this?

Thanks,

Robert

• 5.  RE: Wireless on Buses

Posted Mar 25, 2016 08:59 AM

Make that a RAP-155. The controller was updated to the current GA code rev yesterday. I was hoping the new modem would be an option to select. Alas, it was not. Using the custom settings still didn't work. I'll open a case with TAC when there is a bit more time to work on it.

• 6.  RE: Wireless on Buses

Posted Mar 25, 2016 09:10 AM
    NP. I knew what you were referring to.

Please let us know. I have the info for a different Verizon USB modem so I
    didn't bother to post it.

• 7.  RE: Wireless on Buses

Posted Apr 05, 2016 05:17 PM

TAC helped get this going.

The USB settings that worked for a Verizon U602L USB modem with ArubaOS version 6.4.3.7 were:

USB Parameters checked

Device set to Other (Any)

Cellular NW Preference auto

Link Priority Ethernet 0

Device Type option-novatel-u620

Link Priority Cellular 110