Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Wireless slowdown due to netbios broadcasts?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Wireless slowdown due to netbios broadcasts?

Posted Mar 17, 2016 05:47 PM

Hello,

I'm troubleshooting wireless issues related to choppy connections and latency.  I performed a packet capture for ~20 minutes while also in a web conference.  Afterward I reviewed the capture and found about 6% of the traffic to be netbios broadcasts.  Some clients send 8 broadcasts in less than a second for the same netbios name.

My question is a rather newbish one -- would this amount of broadcast traffic impact user experience while on wifi? All clients see these broadcasts, have to inspect/drop them, and the AP's also have to forward them outbound instead of processing others packets.

Retransmissions and duplicate acks are present as well, but they amount to less than 1.4% the total traffic captured.

• 2.  RE: Wireless slowdown due to netbios broadcasts?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 17, 2016 05:50 PM
    In a word, yes it will affect it. Broadcasts are typically sent at the lowest wireless rate, which means it consumes more airtime than regular data.

• 3.  RE: Wireless slowdown due to netbios broadcasts?

Posted Mar 17, 2016 05:55 PM

Thank you for the quick response!

Is there anything else that could be causing a slowdown, or a way to troubleshoot the duplicate ack's, retransmissions, etc? From what I've read those are typical with congestion and as long as they do not reach more than 2% of the total traffic they can be ignored.

• 4.  RE: Wireless slowdown due to netbios broadcasts?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 17, 2016 06:01 PM
    You should turn on broadcast filtering to eliminate that, so you can see if you have other issues.

• 5.  RE: Wireless slowdown due to netbios broadcasts?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 18, 2016 03:54 AM

Also, besides filtering broadcast and multicast traffic on the wireless wherever possible, separate wireless and wired clients in separate VLANs to limit broadcasts that may come from the wired network to propagate to the WLAN.