Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Won't pass traffic

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Won't pass traffic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 09:03 AM

We have a ticket open but TAC reports no one else has seen this (using version 3.4.4.3, 3.4.5.0, 3.4.5.1 or 5.0.5.4):

At some point after the controller comes up (anywhere from 1 day to 4 weeks), user traffic just stops passing 'through' the controller.  Management/ping/etc. all work fine but nothing related to 'wireless' traffic passes.  Until 3.4.5.1, traffic would eventually start passing again on it's own.  Since 3.4.5.1, I have to reboot to get traffic to pass again.  This is on an M3 controller.

Since the issue doesn't appear with version 3.4.2.6, I feel like I can eliminate hardware and 'environmental' issues?

Anyone else seen anything like this?  TAC appears to be stumped (a first for me in over 8 years).

• 2.  RE: Won't pass traffic

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 22, 2012 09:08 AM

Do you have anything monitoring that controller, like Airwave?  That would help considerably.

Traffic should NOT just stop...

• 3.  RE: Won't pass traffic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 09:10 AM

Yes.  The only thing we can determine with Airwave thus far is the number of connected users starts dropping and amount of data passing through goes down.  One time we had ~1900 users on and less than 1 mb passing through.

• 4.  RE: Won't pass traffic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 11:11 AM

DO you see any Crash in the controller?

"show switchinfo" will give you the answer. Also see if there is any spike in CPU or processes on the time of issue. 

• 5.  RE: Won't pass traffic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 02:25 PM

Sounds like a possible port speed/duplex issue. Are you seeing CRC errors on the controller uplink? If yes you should hard code speed and duplex both on Aruba and the switch.

• 6.  RE: Won't pass traffic

Posted Mar 23, 2012 11:17 AM

TAC and I figured it out finally.  It's a combination of things but basically comes down to Airwave.  It was making changes which weren't needed but based on AOS differences it appeared (to Airwave) they were needed. 

Airwave was trying to delete what it thought was a duplicate line in the validuser ACL.  The net effect is it deleted both of the rules which resulted in a default deny rule to take effect.  The duplication is a result of how ACLs are done with regards to IPv4 and v6 (one for each) whereas older versions of code only put in a line for v4.  The Airwave configuration was build using the older code so 1 line was correct.

• 7.  RE: Won't pass traffic

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 23, 2012 11:28 AM

Glad to hear you got it fixed..