Wireless Access

Highlighted

Re: ZTP with DHCP to Provision a Managed Device (v. 8.4.0.x)

Using Activate, you should be able to automate this upgrade. I believe the following steps would work.

1. Configure the MC in Activate to be configured using ZTP.

2. Copy AOS8 software to one of the two system partitions (do not reboot yet, but make sure that the 8.x partition is configured as the boot partition)

3. Make sure you have the necessary licenses installed on the MM.

4. Make sure the MC is connected to a network that has a DHCP server and Internet access. Make sure the connection is copper and not the 2nd Ethernet port.

4. Do a "write erase all" of the MC and then reboot it

When the MC boots, it will boot of the AOS 8 partition. Without any config, It will obtain an IP address from DHCP and attempt to communicate with Activate. If everything is configured properly, Activate should point the MC to the MM, and the MM will download the configuration to the MC.

I hope this helps,

David

David
Sr. Trainer and Author of "Understanding ArubaOS: Version 8.x" book

--Give Kudos if you found something helpful, important, or cool.
--Problem Solved? Click "Accepted Solution" in a post.
Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi David,
many thanx for explaining how it should work utilizing Activate.
Definitely I would like to try this with my lab equipment
but I might not be allowed to make use of internet/cloud-services (customer rules).
The documentation does mention it should be possible to make use of DHCP-option43 as well - but the way it is described seems to be not working.
And Colin states that the "documentation does not have enough detail" - so I am wondering when a fix of the documentation can be expected.
Or if someone from Aruba will be allowed to post the description upfront here as a solution for "ZTP with DHCP to Provision a MD".

Thanx
Jochem

Highlighted

I have not seen DHCP option 43 work with an MC and ZTP. I tested it last year and it was not configured at that time and I have not heard of it being made to work. So you either need to do a Full-setup or a mini-setup if you have console access to the MC, or use Activate. Activate requires the MC to be in the Activate database, the MM to also be there, along with the provisioning configuration in Activate. The MC needs to be factory reset and connected to any copper Ethernet (except the 2nd port) if it's ArubaOS 8.4 or newer, with the Ethernet port having a DHCP server and Internet access. If the OS is earlier than 8.4, then you need to use the last copper Ethernet port.

I hope this helps,

David
Sr. Trainer and Author of "Understanding ArubaOS: Version 8.x" book

--Give Kudos if you found something helpful, important, or cool.
--Problem Solved? Click "Accepted Solution" in a post.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: