Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

adding ap-275

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  adding ap-275

Posted Jul 16, 2016 05:46 PM

Have 4 ap-105's working fine and need to add a new ap-275.  Connected ap-275 to my Cisco poe switch and it powers on with green flashing light. But I canot see it in the Virtual Controller. The Virtual Controller does allow me to add its Mac address but it remains in red letters and numbers and I cannot see the ap-275?

• 2.  RE: adding ap-275

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 17, 2016 12:51 AM

Is your Cisco POE switch LLDP enabled and supporting 802.3at?

Is the LED on the 275 red?

Can you connect to the USB serial port and post the output from powerup?

Are you using IAP VC or Central?

You may also need to bring up the AP-275 by itself and load the firmware on the 275 that matches the firmware version on the IAP-105s.

• 3.  RE: adding ap-275

Posted Jul 17, 2016 02:11 PM
    Thank you so much answers follow. Btw, I'm part of a satellite office no IT support here they are in a different city. Haven't needed much as the system has been stable for 3 years. People want to work outdoors now thus the AP-275. I have some computer experience but little on Aruba products so I do appreciate the help. We are a Mac house mainly workstations hard wired, MacBooks and iPhones.

*** Yes it has link layer discovery protocol. It supports 802.3af not at.

*** it starts flashing green slowly, then faster flashing green then it turns red for a couple of seconds then starts the cycle over again

*** not sure what you mean here sorry

*** I think you are asking me about the iap's in a cluster versus central.? The 105's are disbursed around our space. They handoff from one to the other as you move automatically. When I'm in the Virtual Controller the 4 IAP's are separately listed in the "access points" section each with a separate static IP address not from dhcp server.

*** current firmware for the 105's is
    6.4.2.0-4.1.1.0_46028
    This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

• 4.  RE: adding ap-275

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 17, 2016 05:18 PM

* The AP-275 requires 802.3at, so you can either buy an inexpensive 802.3at certified power injector, or replace the switch powering the APs (the POE injector is likely less costly).

* All APs in the same cluster have to run the same version of code. You COULD download 6.4.2.0-4.1.1.0_46028 for the AP-275, but it is pretty old code, and from there get the version that matches 6.4.2.0-4.1.1.0_46028 for the AP-275, install it on the 275 and then bring it up on your network with the 105s, or upgrade your AP-105s to newer IAP software as well as the 275. 

The getting started and IAP user guides have all the instructions on that, and can be downloaded from support.arubanetworks.com

• 5.  RE: adding ap-275

Posted Jul 17, 2016 06:23 PM
    Thank you.
    So I ordered the injector for the Poe+ it will arrive Wednesday.

In the meantime I've looked at some of the documentation that you suggested and attempted to first update the IAP's firmware to the most current. When I enter instant using the virtual controller and go to maintenance>firmwareI can see an option to check for New Version Automatic. When I press this button it says image check in progress then it says, "received no response from server" then the button is available again to press.
    Thoughts?
    Thank you

Sent from my iMat

• 6.  RE: adding ap-275

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 17, 2016 07:18 PM

Something might be blocking your IAP VC from reaching the internet. Are your IAPs in an Internet accessible VLAN?

• 7.  RE: adding ap-275

Posted Jul 17, 2016 07:22 PM
    Thank you. Could you guide me on how to check to see if this is true?
    This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

• 8.  RE: adding ap-275

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 17, 2016 08:28 PM

That's up to your local network. If the IAPs have an IP that can reach the internet, you need to make sure that your IAPs have DNS configured. You would have to look at the IP config of your VC (if you statically set an IP but no DNS, then DNS should be configured, if they are pulling DHCP, you would need to make sure that DNS is working, etc.

• 9.  RE: adding ap-275

Posted Jul 17, 2016 08:32 PM
    Thanks.  Any way that you could make the firmware file available to me directly at this point?

Michael

• 10.  RE: adding ap-275

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 18, 2016 02:26 AM

You should be able to register for a support account. if not, you will need to tell me which version you are wanting and for what platform(s) (105s or 275s, etc). 

• 11.  RE: adding ap-275

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 18, 2016 02:27 AM

Additionally, if you fix your DNS or internet access issue for your IAP cluster then you can upgrade from the cloud without issue, and sync up your 275s with the 105s.

• 12.  RE: adding ap-275

Posted Jul 18, 2016 10:31 AM
    Thank you.

Just in case we cannot get the DNS to work can you email me the files? I’m assuming I would want the most current firmware for the IAP-105 and for the AP-275. Actually I’m not sure how to do the DNS issue myself. If it is easy can you give me some idea where to look and how to fix it? I have also put in a call to our IT department for help on this but it may take a while. I’m under pressure here from our people.

Thank you,Michael

• 13.  RE: adding ap-275

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 18, 2016 10:38 AM

Email which files, you want the old firmware for the 275 or new firmware? It might be awhile as I'm not super inclined to send firmware to cirvumvent proper existing support of our products. I'm sure you can find local partners you can contract with to correct it as well, but if you can let me know, I will see what I can do.

• 14.  RE: adding ap-275

Posted Jul 18, 2016 11:19 AM
    Hi sorry I wasn't clear. I'm not sure what firmware the AP-275 even has do you? I thought you said originally we should get the IAP-105 software current. Then when I get the injector and bring up the AP-275 I can bring its firmware up to the same release number? We did try an experiment and changed the DNS settings in the IAP's to 8.8.8.8 (Google public) they were set to the firewall. This didn't work.

Thanks

Sent from my iMat