Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

airgroup wired users to wireless server

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  airgroup wired users to wireless server

Posted Jun 15, 2017 02:05 PM

We are implementing wired captive portal registration (cisco switches) and trying to simulate the possibility of having a wired airgroup user trying to connect to a wirless airgroup server. Potentially a wireless printer that needs to be accessed by a wired desktop. For my test I'm using an iMac and an Apple TV. These are personal devices (dorm setup)

We have no issues with wireless to wireless, or wired server and wireless clients.

For registration purposes, the wired iMac connection is done via a Web Login authenticating to LDAP. Two services are used: wired captive portal and a wired mac caching. The endpoint becomes known in the CPPM db and Mac-auth expiry is used to expire it.

The device shows at times as an airgroup user via console, but it seems only at bootup and shutdown. Not sure if I'm missing something, or if this is even doable.

This is the doc I followed: http://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/aaa-nac-guest-access-byod/28470/1/Howto%20wired%20Cisco%20MAC%20Caching%20(EN).pdf

• 2.  RE: airgroup wired users to wireless server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 15, 2017 02:14 PM
    This is not really possible as the Cisco switch is not AirGroup-aware.

• 3.  RE: airgroup wired users to wireless server

Posted Jun 15, 2017 05:18 PM

Hmm. Thanks.

Now a server is constantly advertising? Is that why a wired server works? The packets are seen by the controller and then picked up by the clients in the airgroup?

• 4.  RE: airgroup wired users to wireless server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 15, 2017 05:34 PM

The APs will send mDNS and SSDP packets that they see on the wired interface up to the controller and add them to the AirGroup server table (with AP mcast agg enabled).