Wireless Access

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

analyzing health reports & best practices

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  analyzing health reports & best practices

Posted Apr 16, 2015 08:34 PM

Guys, I've attached 2 health reports from AMP. I need to understand what is considered high values/thresholds so I can determien the issues:

What are high noise values? Aruba says set alerting thresholds at -80dBm. So is >-90 high (problematic) and -60 considered good?

Same for "high number of clients". Aruba says set alerting thresholds at >15. need more clairity on this. 

same is true for High Channel utilization. is >75% bad and >50% good? 

Can you explaing the above and look over the health reports and point out obvious concerns and provide clairty? thxxs much

Attachment(s)

• 2.  RE: analyzing health reports & best practices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 17, 2015 05:38 AM

Thresholds are specific to environments, and is relative..  There are some users who have environments where there is high density and channel utilization climbs to 50%, but the network is working fine.  You need to baseline when the network is working, to understand what your individual thresholds are.  That last statement is a huge generalization, but that is the way it is...  If  network is well designed, the utilization can climb to 50 or 60%, but it can tolerate it, and your users are fine.

• 3.  RE: analyzing health reports & best practices

Posted Apr 17, 2015 11:01 AM

So is there anything in the health reports that can be of value or concern? 

• 4.  RE: analyzing health reports & best practices

Posted Apr 20, 2015 04:56 PM

The value comes from checking your networks' health on a day when everything is fine, so you can see what fine looks like, then checking when folks are complaining to see what "not-fine" looks like.

Once you've got a good feel for fine and not-fine, you can tune your alerts.