Wireless Access

last person joined: 8 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

analyzing wifi packets

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  analyzing wifi packets

Posted Mar 15, 2016 10:34 PM
    I am having issues with wifi clients and have captured packets from my air monitor. where can I find documentation on analyzing theses packets to determine possible issues.

any help would be great

thanks

#AirheadsMobile
    #ALE

• 2.  RE: analyzing wifi packets

Posted Mar 15, 2016 10:45 PM

The CWAP book is a good book for wifi analysis.  It's not necessarily step-by-step instructions, but it explains all the frame types that you'll see in your capture and how to analyze them.

https://www.cwnp.com/certifications/cwap

Savvius Omnipeek is very good at packet analysis (and captures!) and is capable of pointing out possible issues.  It's not going to do all the work for you, but it can be helpful.  I believe AirMagnet Wifi Analyzer pro is also capable of providing insight into packet captures; I don't have personal experience with it.  Both products will cost you a couple thousand US $.

• 3.  RE: analyzing wifi packets

Posted Mar 15, 2016 11:32 PM
    thanks this will help me long term but looking for something that can help me a device not connecting to controller, ap sees it but mac in fdb does not populate

#AirheadsMobile

• 4.  RE: analyzing wifi packets

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 15, 2016 11:48 PM

Honestly, troubleshooting typically goes to the packet analysis level almost last.  First you define the problem, isolate how many clients have this issue and gather the particulars.  A packet analysis many times has very few clues about what the problem is much less the solution.  Typically it only shows a general issue or a general problem and you have to work with the client and the "system" to make sure the client has every opportunity to connect.

What is your problem?

• 5.  RE: analyzing wifi packets

Posted Mar 16, 2016 10:29 AM

seems to be that that a paticular device model will not populate its mac into the aruba controller thus not getting an ip address. all other device types are working fine.

• 6.  RE: analyzing wifi packets

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 16, 2016 10:32 AM

What device type and what encryption is being used?

• 7.  RE: analyzing wifi packets

Posted Mar 16, 2016 10:42 AM

its is a bbraun spacestation

it is supposed to be wpa2 psk aes

the specs the have online confirmed out of date

• 8.  RE: analyzing wifi packets

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 16, 2016 10:46 AM

Based on the manual here:  http://www.frankshospitalworkshop.com/equipment/documents/infusion_pumps/user_manuals/B.Braun_SpaceStation_-_User_manual.pdf I see that it only supports WEP and WPA.  Do you have a different model?

braun.PNG

• 9.  RE: analyzing wifi packets

Posted Mar 16, 2016 10:44 AM