Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

ap-205h wired ports

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  ap-205h wired ports

Posted Sep 13, 2016 03:31 PM

I just want to confirm - Is E0 on the bottom of the 205H just for use as either an alternative uplink to the E0 on the rear, or as a pass-through? Ie it can't be used as a wired downlink port, is that right?

Many thanks

• 2.  RE: ap-205h wired ports
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 13, 2016 03:36 PM
    Correct. You would have to connect the PT port on the back to an upstream
    switch.

• 3.  RE: ap-205h wired ports

Posted Sep 13, 2016 03:38 PM
    Correct

• 4.  RE: ap-205h wired ports

Posted Jan 12, 2017 01:09 PM

The E0/PT port on the bottom of the AP-205H is a passthrough connection of the PT port on the back. It has nothing to do with the E0 port on the back of the AP-205H, or E0 in the AP's Wired profile.

Ports E1-3 are used in the Wired AP profile. E0 in the controller is the uplink ap connection port.

If you plan to bridge the ports E1-3 on a different VLAN than the AP, you'll need to change the E0 profile to be a trunk with native VLAN on the AP management VLAN, and the client VLAN to be used on ports E1-3 as a tagged VLAN. Then on the Wired AP profile for ports E1-3 you can configure Access bridged to the Client VLAN.

• 5.  RE: ap-205h wired ports

Posted Jan 16, 2017 10:26 AM

Thanks for this detailed reply - so why is the port labelled 'E0/PT' if it has nothing to do with the E0 port on the back? I'm just a bit confused by that

• 6.  RE: ap-205h wired ports

Posted Jan 22, 2017 09:43 PM

Agreed, its a bit confusing.

I think the idea was that the 4 ports on the bottom are the ones that the end user would see, so they would be E0-E3.

The end user would have no context as to what is behind the AP as it's in the wall. 

Also note that as of 6.5.0.3 code you can not actually use secure wired AP with bridged ports. Don't try to use OnGuard or other authentication methods that would use multiple VLAN's or CoA on the ports. You're only solution is to use the ports in tunnel mode, Split Tunnel doesn't seem to work either. 

Still waiting on an answer from Engineering on why this won't work. Looks like its got something to do with the way the PHY was implemented. 

I've also run into issue with the port trying to hold the authentication/MAC of the device if the bridged port is not in trusted mode. 

• 7.  RE: ap-205h wired ports

Posted Feb 09, 2017 09:36 AM

cauliflower wrote:

Thanks for this detailed reply - so why is the port labelled 'E0/PT' if it has nothing to do with the E0 port on the back? I'm just a bit confused by that

Hi cauliflower,

Here's the 205H Desk (AP-205H-MNTR) that has the E0/PT patched together that passes E0 through the PT port on the bottom.

205H-Desk-Mount.png

• 8.  RE: ap-205h wired ports

Posted Feb 09, 2017 06:41 PM

Thank you cbjohns,

As you can see you plug into PT/E0 on the Desktop mount and that connects the AP up via E0. So no wires hanging from the back that the user can see. 

PT/E0 and PT on the back are basicly a coupler. 

• 9.  RE: ap-205h wired ports

Posted Feb 08, 2017 11:01 PM
    Hi cauliflower, it might be labeled that way because of the Desk Mount stand conversion kit. The stand comes with a .5 inch patch cable that connects the E0/PT port on the back together and then the passthrough port on the bottom essentially becomes the uplink port E0. I can post a picture tomorrow.

#AirheadsMobile