Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

ap 224 antenna gain

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  ap 224 antenna gain

Posted Aug 08, 2013 04:07 PM

Hi.

I'm setting up a camus network and or AP of choice is AP224 and 225.

My question is, what values is recommended dBi for antenna gain when provisioning?

The only documentation I could find was the maximum dBi for the 225.

Antennas
    • AP-225: Six integrated down-tilt omni-directional antennas for
    3x3 MIMO with maximum antenna gain of 3.5 dBi in
    2.4 GHz and 4.5 dBi in 5 GHz. Built-in antennas are optimized
    for horizontal ceiling mounted orientation of AP-225.

Erik Hammervold

#AP224
    #AP225

• 2.  RE: ap 224 antenna gain

Posted Aug 08, 2013 04:42 PM

The 225 has integrated antennas, and the provisioning will already know that and account for it.

The 224 has external antennas, and you'll provision whatever you attach to them.

• 3.  RE: ap 224 antenna gain

Posted Aug 09, 2013 04:41 AM

Hi.

I don't think you really understood what I was asking for.

In principle, if I connect a banana, there is no decimal option for a banana in the controller, is there?

SO a numerical value is needed. Hence the quote i provided, witch is the only documentation i could find on the subject.

Wireless > AP Installation > Provision

External Antenna Parameters

5 GHz Antenna Gain (dBi)

2.4 GHz Antenna Gain (dBi)

Failure to provide a value gives "Please enter valid xx GHz antenna gain value"

So any clues?

Ps. forcing a value i an open text field, without any check against a valid range is quite frankly a bit sloppy programming? I mean.. I tested with a AP134 and set the values really-rally high, and the thing never came back up... Had do take a console cable and manually configure.... Not good at all. I have around 150 Aruba AP now, and typos can uccur. "3.5" vs "35" is a big issue....

-erik-

• 4.  RE: ap 224 antenna gain
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 09, 2013 07:15 PM

I have 4dB antennas with .5dB loss due to cable/connector so I enter 3.5 on my AP60

I suppose Aruba engineers could put some sort of bound checking in, and maybe they have. I couldn't say.

Just put the gain of the antenna you have into the box.

I suppose I'm still missing your point, since that sounds too simple.

If so, can you make the question more specific?  What antennas are you using, and what number are you trying to enter?

• 5.  RE: ap 224 antenna gain

Posted Aug 11, 2013 03:37 PM

This was what I needed + google for antenneas etc. Plus oharms reply.

I needed to understand the link between the antenna and the controller regarding the antenna gain settings. Got it now.

• 6.  RE: ap 224 antenna gain
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 09, 2013 08:20 PM

Antenna gain entered on the AP provisioning page can be any value between 0 and 63.5 (dBi) on a 0.5dBi grid. Admittedly a somewhat unrealistic range, that could have been limited to 20 or so.

Entering a different value should result in an error message and not cause any problems. If it dis, please report this as a bug.

Thanks,

/Onno Harms, Aruba

• 7.  RE: ap 224 antenna gain

Posted Jul 24, 2014 09:16 AM

@oharms wrote:

Antenna gain entered on the AP provisioning page can be any value between 0 and 63.5 (dBi) on a 0.5dBi grid. Admittedly a somewhat unrealistic range, that could have been limited to 20 or so.

Entering a different value should result in an error message and not cause any problems. If it dis, please report this as a bug.

Thanks,

/Onno Harms, Aruba

I have an AP-ANT-1W paired with AP-224 and AP-114. Antenna specs say the gain is 5.8dBi (5GHz) and 3.8dBi (2.4GHz). Since the provisioning page won't allow me to enter values in non .5 increments what should I use? Does it make sense to use 6dBi and 4dBi?

Mike