Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

ap database list

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  ap database list

Posted Aug 27, 2014 02:01 PM

I've got a customer with 7k APs. Every couple of weeks or so we like to pull a list to compare up and down APs to compare to our packing lists, etc. I've been pulling this by copying the GUI list (by the thousand) into an excel sheet and sending in an email. This process is OK, but not my favorite.

I've been trying to make this process easier and hope you could help me. 

In the CLI i've tried running the "show ap database long sort-by ap-name" while logging the session to make the list quicker. The problem is that the list is cut up into groups of 20 by the flag declarations. Pulling a CLI list actually takes 3-4 times longer because of all the editting I have to do to make it readable. 

Is there a command I can run that will give me the printout of the GUI database without cutting the list into groups of 20? (i have diabled the paging during this process.)

• 2.  RE: ap database list

Posted Aug 27, 2014 02:08 PM

Have you tried using no paging ?

And increase the windows size buffer ?

• 3.  RE: ap database list

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 27, 2014 02:08 PM

Do you have AirWave?

• 4.  RE: ap database list

Posted Aug 27, 2014 02:16 PM

@cappalli wrote:

Do you have AirWave?

They have 2 Airwave servers. I haven't pulled an AP list like this from Airwave though. I'd have to compare the lists to make sure there wasn't discrepencies. I will probably try that when i'm a little less busy.

• 5.  RE: ap database list

Posted Aug 27, 2014 02:29 PM

@playinpearls wrote:

@cappalli wrote:

Do you have AirWave?

They have 2 Airwave servers. I haven't pulled an AP list like this from Airwave though. I'd have to compare the lists to make sure there wasn't discrepencies. I will probably try that when i'm a little less busy.

This gave me pretty much what I want. Thanks!!

• 6.  RE: ap database list

Posted Aug 27, 2014 02:10 PM

Paging is disabled. 

The problem is not that I can't pull the entire list....its that it is split up like this:

Flags: U = Unprovisioned; N = Duplicate name; G = No such group; L = Unlicensed
    I = Inactive; D = Dirty or no config; E = Regulatory Domain Mismatch
    X = Maintenance Mode; P = PPPoE AP; B = Built-in AP
    R = Remote AP; R- = Remote AP requires Auth; C = Cellular RAP;
    c = CERT-based RAP; 1 = 802.1x authenticated AP; 2 = Using IKE version 2
    u = Custom-Cert RAP; S = Standby-mode AP; J = USB cert at AP
    M = Mesh node; Y = Mesh Recovery

Port information is available only on 6xx.

AP Database
    -----------
    Name Group AP Type IP Address Status Flags Switch IP Standby IP Wired MAC Address Serial # Port FQLN Outer IP User
    ---- ----- ------- ---------- ------ ----- --------- ---------- ----------------- -------- ---- ---- -------- ----

• 7.  RE: ap database list

Posted Aug 27, 2014 02:14 PM

That's true that message will still be there.

What you could do is copy the whole list into Notepad ++ and then do a replace all

2014-08-27 14_13_07-_new  10 - Notepad++ [Administrator].png

• 8.  RE: ap database list
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 27, 2014 02:18 PM

What you can do is use one of the columns that is not populated with data. For example, in a campus environment, the "Outer IP" column is not used and will be "N/A" for all access points.

So the command below will return what you are looking for:

show ap database long sort-by ap-name | include N/A

• 9.  RE: ap database list

Posted Aug 27, 2014 02:19 PM

I had thought about that, but when I pull from the GUI, all the columns are in order. When pasting into excel from the CLI, the down aps dont have an IP so the column is shorter than the rest, etc. I know thats picky but i'm just trying to figure out the easiest way for me to pull a list that needs minimal editting before a non-techie can read it.  Especially when the list is 7k long.

@victorfabian wrote:

That's true that message will still be there.

What you could do is copy the whole list into Notepad ++ and then do a replace all

2014-08-27 14_13_07-_new  10 - Notepad++ [Administrator].png

• 10.  RE: ap database list

Posted Aug 27, 2014 02:21 PM

7k is pretty long but you could show ap database | exclude Down

• 11.  RE: ap database list

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 27, 2014 02:24 PM

If you are trying to track AP's that might be missing, you won't want to exclude Down. 

Every AP will have at least 1 N/A designation and will hit the filter.