Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

aruba 305 AP and &005 Controller requirement

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  aruba 305 AP and &005 Controller requirement

Posted Aug 16, 2017 12:24 AM

hi i just want to know if i have a L3 switch then there are 5 VLANs what must be the type of interface will my AP be plugged onto the switch and also the 7005 controller? is it tagged o just access port only for both AP and controller?

• 2.  RE: aruba 305 AP and &005 Controller requirement

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 16, 2017 04:24 AM

Please check the Mobility Controllers VRD, for the basic design guidelines, and best practices. More specific chapter 4.

Recommendation is to deploy controllers+APs in tunneled mode, and in that mode the APs will have untagged ports that are either adjacent to the mobility controller or L3 routable. The controller will have ports tagged to the core switch, with the management and client VLANs.

fig24.png

• 3.  RE: aruba 305 AP and &005 Controller requirement

Posted Aug 16, 2017 04:34 AM

you mean the connection from AP to Controller 7005 is tunnel mode?...so its not appropriate if i plug the AP to the manageable switch?

• 4.  RE: aruba 305 AP and &005 Controller requirement

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 16, 2017 04:47 AM

The connection between the AP and the controller is a tunnel. So as long as you can reach the controller from the AP, that may be a routed connection, but it can be in the same VLAN, it will work.

So it will work if you put the AP in the same VLAN on the same switch as the controller.

Please check the VRD from my previous post for details on how to make the AP find the controller (AP discovery) in case the AP and controller are in a different subnet/VLAN. This content is covered extensively in Aruba training, and your partner should be able to advise you on the best design.

• 5.  RE: aruba 305 AP and &005 Controller requirement

Posted Aug 16, 2017 05:23 AM

aruba AP is in tagged port?aruba AP is in tagged port?

this is the diagram of the network, so does it mean i have to plug the AP to a tagged port also knowing that the controller is tagged port and they are on the same switch? the L3 switches are stacked.

• 6.  RE: aruba 305 AP and &005 Controller requirement
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 16, 2017 06:48 AM

The APs should be on an access port on the switch.  When the AP gets an ip address, all user traffic is tunneled back to the controller.  After the controller decrypts the traffic it is sent out the controller to a tagged port to whatever VLAN the user traffic needs to be on.  

APs on access ports.

The controller on a tagged port to distribute the user traffic.

It does not matter what VLAN the access points are on, as long as the traffic can route back to the controller.  The key is that the controller is on a tagged port, where it can distribute the user traffic to whatever VLAN it needs to be on.

• 7.  RE: aruba 305 AP and &005 Controller requirement

Posted Aug 16, 2017 10:20 PM

thank you so much all the people who helped..i am newbie for Aruba here