Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

aruba OS8 MobilityMaster named VLAN without VLAN ID

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  aruba OS8 MobilityMaster named VLAN without VLAN ID

Posted May 30, 2018 10:45 AM

Hello Community,

I want to set up an aruba OS8 environment with Mobilty Master and some 7030 mobilty devices in different locations.

The VLAN names on the campus are the same in all of my location, only the VLAN-IDs differ e.g.

Building A - VLAN-Name: OFFICE, VLAN-ID 520

Building B - VLAN-Name: OFFICE, VLAN-ID 620

and so on.

For a simple configuration I wanted to create the VLAN Names at the Top Level (Managed Devices) without an ID and assign the correct VLAN ID in every controller level, so I can create user-roles at the top level which uses these named VLANs. But I haven't figured out how to do that. When I create a VLAN at the Top-Level I have to type a VLAN-ID.

When I assign for example the ID 2020, then it's published to all controllers. I can change the ID to the correct one, but the ID 2020 remains on every controller.

Is it possible to create a named VLAN without VLAN ID?

Thanks for your help,

Steffen

• 2.  RE: aruba OS8 MobilityMaster named VLAN without VLAN ID

Posted May 30, 2018 11:24 AM
    Then you can assign the VLAN-ID at each manage node

Thank you

Victor Fabian

Pardon typos sent from Mobile

• 3.  RE: aruba OS8 MobilityMaster named VLAN without VLAN ID

Posted May 30, 2018 11:48 AM
    You will need to configure it via cli:
    VLAN-name “name”
    And then add the vlan-id at each node

Thank you

Victor Fabian

• 4.  RE: aruba OS8 MobilityMaster named VLAN without VLAN ID

Posted May 30, 2018 11:52 AM
    In cli of mobility master? Under mynode oder do I have to change the directory?
    Thank you.

• 5.  RE: aruba OS8 MobilityMaster named VLAN without VLAN ID

Posted May 30, 2018 11:58 AM
    >From the MM > cd md and then configure it from there if you want the same name to be applied to every MD

Thank you

Victor Fabian

• 6.  RE: aruba OS8 MobilityMaster named VLAN without VLAN ID

Posted May 31, 2018 03:05 AM

ok, I tried this, I want to create a VLAN WLAN-MGMT and assign the ID 530 to the controllers under /md/BUILDINGA:

(MM1) [mynode] #cd md
    (MM1) [md] (config) #vlan-name WLAN-MGMT (MM1) ^[md] (config) # wri mem
    Saving Configuration... (MM1) [md] (config) #cd / /md /md/BUILDINGA /md/BUILDINGB /mm /mm/mynode <node-path> Path of config node (MM1) [md] (config) #cd /MD/BUILDINGA (MM1) [BUILDINGA] (config) #vlan WLAN-MGMT 530 Error: VLAN in the list does not exist

I also can not see the created VLAN in Web-UI, neither in Managed-Networks-Node, nor in BUILDINGA-Node.

Did I do something wrong? Or do I have to create the named VLAN on each MD again, but that would make no sense, than the inheritance would be meaningless.

• 7.  RE: aruba OS8 MobilityMaster named VLAN without VLAN ID

• 8.  RE: aruba OS8 MobilityMaster named VLAN without VLAN ID
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 01, 2018 03:42 AM

yes i tried and it worked.

But I am not happy with this solution because I can't see the VLAN-Name in WebUI as long as I don't define a VLAN ID. Also I have to define new VLANs in CLI everytime.

So I decided to create all VLANs in WebUI at the Top Level of managed Network with the Same VLAN ID which is not in use in my network (OFFICE 4093, WLAN-MGMT 4093, GAESTE 4093 ...)

I changed the VLAN ID in every sub-Level to the correct VLAN ID of the location.

It would be great If I could delete the unused VLAN 4093 from the sub-levels but the "delete"-Button is not available for that inherited VLAN ;-) But I can live with that.

MM-VLAN-Settings.png

Thanks for your help and your solutions.

Regards.