Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

assign role / vlan based on device type

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  assign role / vlan based on device type

Posted Apr 17, 2012 03:19 AM

is there a way to assign a role / vlan based on the device type? it seems the controller knows about device types (which might not work 100% and might be manipulated, but im assuming good faith here) and can assign roles based on certain attributes.

can those two things be brought together?

[edit] i found some documents on DHCP fingerprinting, which seems to come quite close, it does feel like adding much work if the controller already knows the device type.

• 2.  RE: assign role / vlan based on device type

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 17, 2012 05:33 AM

I am assuming you read/found the DHCP fingerprinting VRD here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/technology/AOS-DHCP-FingerPrint-AppNote.pdf

• 3.  RE: assign role / vlan based on device type

Posted Apr 17, 2012 06:32 AM

indeed, that was what i found, it might do the trick. but feels like extra work when the controller has the device type already somewhere.

so i assume that DHCP fingerprinting would be the only way?

• 4.  RE: assign role / vlan based on device type

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 17, 2012 06:35 AM
    Devices type is derived from the browser agent which is easy to forge. Dhcp fingerprinting is much more reliable.

• 5.  RE: assign role / vlan based on device type

Posted Apr 17, 2012 02:43 PM

sure i believe that, but it would be an easy way (it if was possible) to make something work. DHCP fingerprinting is more complex and im not quite sure if it would detect the difference between iDevices (iPod, iPad, iPhone, ...), the pdf just shows iOS devices as category.

still thanks for the answers, if time permits ill look into DHCP fingerprinting some device and see if it works out.