Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

bandwidth limit for wired users

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  bandwidth limit for wired users

Posted Jan 30, 2014 08:00 PM

Hello,

I know how to apply a bandwidth contract to a wireless user.  I would like to do the same thing to a wired user.

I have a 7220 controller and a bunch of S1500 and S2500 switches. I would like to apply a bandwidth contract to wired users in either one of two ways:

-Apply a bandwidth contract to each aruba switch port

-Apply a per user bandwidth contract to a VLAN Interface (so that each user going through the controller to the Internet gets their own bandwidth contract)

I am open to any suggestions or tips!

Thanks,

Tobias

• 2.  RE: bandwidth limit for wired users

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 30, 2014 09:15 PM

An s3500 port connected to an untrusted port on the 7200 will force a user to authenticate.  You can place him/her in a role that has a bandwidth contract.

• 3.  RE: bandwidth limit for wired users

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 30, 2014 11:05 PM

Canucklehea,

Could you clarify whether you are using tunneled node ports or not on the Mobilty Access Switches?

Best regards,

Madani

• 4.  RE: bandwidth limit for wired users

Posted Jan 31, 2014 01:00 AM

Currently not using tunneled but I am willing to set up tunneling.  is that part of the solution?

• 5.  RE: bandwidth limit for wired users
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 03, 2014 03:12 AM

What I did for one of a deployment is using tunneling of the switchports back to the controller from that you can provide the necessary roles as mentioned eariler to each of the ports.

• 6.  RE: bandwidth limit for wired users

Posted Feb 03, 2014 11:17 AM

OK - a tunneling I will go.  Thanks for the advice!

• 7.  RE: bandwidth limit for wired users

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 03, 2014 05:19 PM

Canucklehead,

Sorry for the delay responding. The original reason I asked if you were using tunneling or not is that in Tunneled Node, bandwidth contracts can be applied to users at the controller effectively turning the switch into a Wired AP. All forwarding decisions and security will be moved to the controller. If you chose not to use Tunneled Node, you can still apply security policy to users but ingress policing is the form of bandwidth restriction we can apply at the switch level.

Best regards,

Madani