Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

basic and transmit rates with multiple VAPs in an AP-Group

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  basic and transmit rates with multiple VAPs in an AP-Group

Posted Oct 02, 2017 10:50 AM

We carry three SSIDs across the campus. One of the SSIDs support gaming/IoT devices. In the document "RF and Roaming Optimization for Aruba 802.11ac Networks" the Recommended values for transmit and basic rates are as follows:

802.11 a & g: Basic rates: 12,24
    802.11 a & g transmit rates: 12,24,36,48,56

The same document adds the following note: "If you have gaming devices connecting to the network , then add data rate 5, 6, 9, and 11 Mbps to the G radio basic and transmit rates". Changes to beacon rates are mentioned as well with respect to these values.

My question is: Do the transmit and basic rates HAVE TO be the same on all VAPs in an AP-Group for things to work smoothly? If yes, and given we support gaming consoles, are we bound to support the lower rates listed above across all VAPs?

Mike

• 2.  RE: basic and transmit rates with multiple VAPs in an AP-Group

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 02, 2017 06:10 PM

They do not have to be the same for all VAPs.

• 3.  RE: basic and transmit rates with multiple VAPs in an AP-Group

Posted Oct 04, 2017 12:13 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm also going to try to test removing the lowest data rates for the gaming/iOT VAP. The though t being that the optimization tech doc might refer to older game consoles. It certainly seems like the newer consoles connect to both bands at higher speeds.

• 4.  RE: basic and transmit rates with multiple VAPs in an AP-Group

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 04, 2017 12:15 PM

I think you are correct, most of the lowest data rates were from older consoles with really poor wifi driver implementations.