Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

behavior local on masters replacement

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  behavior local on masters replacement

Posted Mar 18, 2019 04:51 PM

Hi,

I would ask how do local controllers behavior in an operation of master controller replacements. I will change all master controller on the cluster (active and standby) with new models

I followed the best practice in order to have the new all masters as previous:

- same firmware [6.4.5.11]
    - backup and restore of flashback.tar.gz
    -ecc

And I checked the configuration on new controllers like redundancy, AP configuration and vrrp ip. All was ok.

But I have a doubt. When I will change the masters how will local controllers negoziate the IPSec with a cluster with the same IP but with a different hash? Will it be necessary to do a reboot?

Thanks a lot

Regards

• 2.  RE: behavior local on masters replacement
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 18, 2019 06:46 PM

As long as the preshared key for IPSec matches on both devices, the IPSec SA will negotiate correctly.

The output is hashed when you do a "show run" on the controller, but the actual passphrase is saved on the device. If you restored from a flashbackup, then correct password should be there. On the new controller, you can use the command "encrypt disable" before doing "show run" in order to verify that the correct IPSec key is in fact installed. If it is not, you'll want to set this correctly on the new device, as a mismatch in keys will mean the IPSec SA does not establish.

• 3.  RE: behavior local on masters replacement

Posted Mar 19, 2019 03:07 AM

Hi Charlie,

thank you for your answer.

You have confirm my suspect. In fact I have done as you wrote. I launched the comand encripytion disable and I checked passwords for IPSec and the importation was been good. So I will procede with the replacement

Regards

Roberto

• 4.  RE: behavior local on masters replacement

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 19, 2019 10:15 AM

Let us know how it goes.

• 5.  RE: behavior local on masters replacement

Posted Mar 23, 2019 04:44 AM

Hi Charlie and alls,

Just as I promised, I would give a report on migration.

Like Charlie said, I verified the IPSec key through "show run" comand.
    Yes, I didn't have any problem on these aspect.

But I had a very strange situazion. I had exported the flashbackup.tar.gz file from old controller and I had imported it on new.
    I restored and rebooted controller.

So when the new controller became the master of production environment I discoverd that roles had been not imported.
    I tried to copy from the old but system didn't accept because they was alread present but not manageable.

I don't know if it is all clear but what do you think it went wrong?

Regards

• 6.  RE: behavior local on masters replacement

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 27, 2019 10:38 AM

What was the Controller model that the config originated from, and the controller model you restored the backup to? It's possible there were issues with the config due to port/vlan changes.

• 7.  RE: behavior local on masters replacement

Posted Apr 03, 2019 02:28 AM

Hi Charlie,

I'm very sorry. I totaly forgotted to answer.

The origin model was  a 7205 model and the destination was 7210. We did this migration because of limit of licenses.

I checked vlan and port and yes they changed but after restore of flashbackup, I modified these objects and I re-connected in order to start VRRP. I did a "clear" show running-config with passwords as you wrote. But net destinations and roles were not imported.

So I thought to cut and copy from the eldest but the new reported that settings were already present even if not visible

Regards

Roberto Zanardo