Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

bonded channels - selecting the primary

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  bonded channels - selecting the primary

Posted Jul 25, 2017 09:59 AM

I'm using 40MHz 5GHz channels in one of our buildings and I'd like to limit ARM to using either + or - channels. So 36+ or 40 - but not both. Currently both are valid. 

I've found a command for setting the primary + or - but it doesn't work on our version of code (6.4). Is there a way to do this?

• 2.  RE: bonded channels - selecting the primary

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 25, 2017 10:05 AM

There is not a way to do that, honestly.  What command are you referring to?

• 3.  RE: bonded channels - selecting the primary

Posted Jul 25, 2017 12:35 PM

I think I'd misunderstood this post. Looks like there's been a slight syntax change, but I thought this meant I'd be able to specify the primary channel.

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/Working-with-40Mhz-channel-and-channel-bonding/ta-p/203129

Not being able to do that is a pretty significant drawback. Is ARM smart enough to ensure that we don't have APs with overlapping primary and secondary channels within earshot of each other? I guess the survey I'm about to carry out will give me the answer.

• 4.  RE: bonded channels - selecting the primary

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 25, 2017 01:32 PM

That post specifies channel pairs that you can enable or disable, but not the primary channel with in a 40mhz pair.  ARM chooses channels that have less interference based on a threshold in a specific area.  What to do if you have more APS than channels?  What to do if your environment is dynamic and you not only have to deal with cochannel interference from your own access points, but interference from other access points?  It is better to go 20mhz and have many more interference-free channels.  What you would lose in bonding you would gain in less cochannel interference and only have to check on the status of a single channel, instead of maybe one channel out of two being impaired...

• 5.  RE: bonded channels - selecting the primary

Posted Jul 26, 2017 04:04 AM

Well, quite... I get contention domains and understand the cost/benefits of channel bonding. We have a few areas where high throughput is necessary, there is sufficient channel space available with DFS.

I don't want ARM doing stupid things like putting nearby APs on each others' primary channel. It's disappointing ArubaOS doesn't let me specify this. Is there a way I can put this in as a feature request?

• 6.  RE: bonded channels - selecting the primary

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 26, 2017 06:35 AM

Absolutely you can file a enhancement request.

You can:

1.  Contact your local Aruba Sales Resource

2.  Open a TAC case and request it there

3.  Post your request as succintly as possible here and we can forward it on.