Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

bouncing WPA2 with message about key message not matching replay counter

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  bouncing WPA2 with message about key message not matching replay counter

Posted Mar 05, 2018 06:07 PM

Hi there!

I have a location that has 2 AP93's in RAP mode. The signal seems to drop out long enough for the devices to disconnect. When running aruba-utils on the Android based device, the signal dips to -85DB for two polls and then it disconnects. I did a show log all | include <mac> and I got this message. 

Mar  5 16:22:08  authmgr[10049]: <132093> <ERRS> |authmgr|  WPA2 Key message 2 from Station x y z did not match the replay counter 07 vs 08.

Device is stationary, goes from -50 to -85, and when it finally connects back to the AP, it goes right back up to -50.

This is causing problems because the people at the location cannot use the device.

Please and thanks.

• 2.  RE: bouncing WPA2 with message about key message not matching replay counter

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 05, 2018 09:15 PM

That message in this context would indicate RF interference.  I am assuming the device is using the 2.4ghz band?

• 3.  RE: bouncing WPA2 with message about key message not matching replay counter

Posted Mar 06, 2018 03:00 PM

So using the arubautilities app on the device supports the conclusion that there is a lot of interference from other networks on the channels. I tried forcing it to my own domain profile which isolated it to the most open channel pair i could find in that area (6-10) and even that has the same effect. I am going to upgrade these AP93's to AP105's to see if the better radios help (this has often been the solution to this problem in the past). I disabled the profile and I can see that it looks like it drops every time it changes channels trying to find a clear space. The screenshot below is one showing it on the 6-10 channel.

image.png

• 4.  RE: bouncing WPA2 with message about key message not matching replay counter

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 06, 2018 03:35 PM

Android devices that monitor the wifi can show dropouts when there are collisions, especially when that device is connected to the wifi itself.  You should use a secondary device (non-android) to corroborate what you are seeing.