Wireless Access

Frequent Contributor II

captive portal cert upload error...

Hey all,

I've done this many times but now when attempting to upload the cert (for use with the captive portal) I get the following error:

Error Uploading Certificate: Error in cert format

The cert is from godaddy.  I combined the contents of both .crt files into one as usual and turned it into a .pem

Aruba3400

It is a local

rif

Re: captive portal cert upload error...

you need to combine the root/intermediates/server cert and private key all together.

upload it as a server cert to the controller
Pasquale Monardo | Senior Network Solutions Consultant
ACDX #420 | ACCA
[If you found my post helpful, please give kudos!]
Frequent Contributor II

Thank you pmonardo,

Right, so I opened the two crt files with my text editor that I received from GoDaddy:

6dd8632d2b4a2b73.crt 

gd_bundle-g2-g1.crt

I copied the contents of those two files into one text file and renamed it in .pem format.  This has worked in the past but is now throwing this error.  Is the proceedure I am following different from what you recommended?

thanks,

rif

What order are you copying them?

It should go something like this

Root
Intermediates
Server cert
Private key
Pasquale Monardo | Senior Network Solutions Consultant
ACDX #420 | ACCA
[If you found my post helpful, please give kudos!]
Frequent Contributor II

First I copied the contents of the file named 6dd8632d2b4a2b73.crt which was just one "paragraph" and pasted into a text doc.  Then I copied the contents of the gd_bundle-g2-g1.crt file which was many "paragraphs" and pasted that into the text doc right under the contents

of  the previosly pasted 6dd8632d2b4a2b73.crt contents.  That is all there is.

rif

Super Contributor I

Do you have an Ubuntu box? upload your bundel cert gd_bundle-g2-g1.crt and execute this:
openssl x509 -inform der -in gd_bundle-g2-g1.crt -out certificate.pem
Download your new certificate.pem and install.

if certificate is for the lab that you are not worry about security, use https://www.sslshopper.com/ssl-converter.html
upload your gd_bundle-g2-g1.crt and it will convert to your choice

~Trinh Nguyen~
Boys Town
Frequent Contributor II

I do not have an ubuntu box readily available and am a bit perplexed as to why this method has worked for me in the past but now throws this error that I've never seen before...

rif

Super Contributor I

I was in the same boat, but since I’ve discovered the openssl, life is a lot easier. See if you can request .pem from GoDaddy. My DigiCert can give me cert at any format that I request. Also make sure you use text editor like Notepad++, not MS Notepad or Word

~Trinh Nguyen~
Boys Town
Frequent Contributor II

Hi ngutri,

So it appears that the .crt suffix (and the syntax of the cert when opened in TextEdit on my mac) indicates they are already in PEM format that is there doesn't appear to be the need for any kind of conversion.  Should combining the two .crt files into one TextEdit doc and them changing the suffix from .rtf to .pem just work?  It surely did last year....

rif

Guru Elite

You need to combine the private key, server certificate and signing CA/intermediate.

| Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security | @timcappalli | timcappalli.me |

NOTE: Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: