Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

centralized license master local question

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  centralized license master local question

Posted May 28, 2014 02:18 PM

I just want to confirm this

If i got one controller(controller A) which got 16 ap and policy enforment licenses and also 16 APS in one site

The client will be adding one more controller(Controller B) in a remote site, which he willl put as a local controlller of the controller A

He willl move 7 of those 16 APS to the remote site with the new controller

In this scenario is not necesary to buy Licenses to the other controller as ill be able to activate centralized licenses on the master controller and share the pool of that licesnses with the local controller?

The client will not buy more APS he will just move those APS to the remote SITE with the new local controller in which he will not buy any license... we want to activate the centrilized license so the licesnses on the master controller are shared to the NEW local controller.

I am right, and you can do that? as far i read it would work just fine

Cheers

Carlos

• 2.  RE: centralized license master local question
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 28, 2014 02:33 PM

Yes, that's fine, as long as the controller A is not built-in ap licences.

Obviously (and i'm sure you already know) needs to be min 6.3.

• 3.  RE: centralized license master local question

Posted May 28, 2014 02:35 PM

Yes i know that :)

Just double checking...

we are quoting this to a client right now and i just wanted to double check... as i never have used centralized license before.   This will be my first deployment using them.

Cheers

Carlos

• 4.  RE: centralized license master local question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 28, 2014 04:06 PM

To add to this...yes, the AP termination point is irrelevant in terms of licensing wieh 6.3 and centralized licensing available.  You also have a 30 day grace period should the master controller (licensing server) goes down

• 5.  RE: centralized license master local question

Posted May 28, 2014 07:57 PM

Thanks guys!

• 6.  RE: centralized license master local question

Posted May 29, 2014 07:33 AM

When you asked the question about the AP license being built-in does this mean that controllers that were purchased with pre-installed licenses cannot participate in license pooling?

• 7.  RE: centralized license master local question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 29, 2014 07:35 AM
    No they can but for any APs on this local, the built in licenses are consumed before the pooled

• 8.  RE: centralized license master local question

Posted May 29, 2014 07:37 AM

And will a master with pre-installed licenses pool them out to a local with no licenses?

• 9.  RE: centralized license master local question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 29, 2014 07:47 AM

yes...the master will become the centralized licensing server and any available licenses will be available to all locals

• 10.  RE: centralized license master local question

Posted May 29, 2014 07:48 AM

Thanks, much appreciated.

• 11.  RE: centralized license master local question

Posted Jun 17, 2014 03:27 AM

Hi, 

I have a question, suppose we have acontrollers lets say 650 controller which can support 16 campus AP. in the master local scenario with the centralized licensing enabled, i will add another 650 controller which will work as local and also i will add the 16 AP license. so the total license limit will be 32, means i can terminate 32 APs in total. what will happen if the local or a master goes down? will it be possible for the redundant controller to support 32 APs? where 650 can only support 16 campus AP.

• 12.  RE: centralized license master local question

Posted Jun 17, 2014 03:38 AM

No you will be constrained to the platform limit.

• 13.  RE: centralized license master local question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 17, 2014 07:38 AM
    If you have a 3600/M3, 72xx, you can run over capacity during a failover.