Wireless Access

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

channel utilization : Interference

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  channel utilization : Interference

Posted Mar 17, 2015 06:52 AM

Dear all expert ,

I'm having problem that my customer site is using a lot of notebook that support only 802.11n in g channel. However i got some problem that in sometime we will get some ping request timeout even a-channel notebook too. However i notice that AP that have high "channel utilization" will have the problem. So i'm not sure what is the meaniing of interference within "Channel utilzation". Becuase afte i breakdown Channel utilization , i will get "TX time" , "RX time" and "Interference". But i don't understand what does it mean for interference. Does it mean another APs interfere this AP. Or what does it mean?

Thanks ,,

• 2.  RE: channel utilization : Interference

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 17, 2015 07:15 AM

Can we see a screenshot of what you are talking about?

• 3.  RE: channel utilization : Interference

Posted Mar 17, 2015 07:53 AM
      |   view attached

Opps , Sorry i forgot to attach it.

• 4.  RE: channel utilization : Interference

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 17, 2015 08:01 AM

- Remove channels 5 and 7 from your regulatory domain profile.  Having access points on channels 5 and 7 create much more interference than access points on 1,6,11.

- Consider lowering the power of your access points

- Please see the article here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Technology-Blog/Removing-the-Bottleneck-in-Wireless/ba-p/77978

• 5.  RE: channel utilization : Interference

Posted Mar 17, 2015 08:24 AM

Hi Joseph,

I have 2 Controllers and they work together with 2 VRRP instants. Controller-1 take care AP115 for to be primary of VRRP1 and Controller-2 take care AP215 for to be primary of VRRP2. Both Controllers already took out channel 5 and 7 from regulatory domain like attahcment files. However for "Valid 802.11g 40MHz channel pair" , it still have 1,5 and 7,11 too.

Thanks ..

• 6.  RE: channel utilization : Interference

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 17, 2015 08:29 AM

Since 40mhz channels are not being used in the 2.4ghz (802.11g) spectrum the Valid 802.11g 40mhz channels do not matter.  What is the ARM min and MAX tx power for those access points?

• 7.  RE: channel utilization : Interference

Posted Mar 17, 2015 08:53 AM

Hi Joseph,

I setup ARM Max tx = 15 and ARM Min tx = 9. And i tuned up RF like some attachment files. Could you please advice me.

Thanks ,,

• 8.  RE: channel utilization : Interference

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 17, 2015 09:20 AM

You only need to be concerned with the G arm profiles.  Just Uncheck "Client Aware" for now, so that the access points can settle.  What is the utilization on the dashboard?  If it is still high, you would need to enable "Drop Broadcast and Multicast" on all of your Virtual APs.

• 9.  RE: channel utilization : Interference

Posted Mar 18, 2015 03:27 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Joseph,

I've already unchecked client-aware, however i tried to choose Drop broadcast and unknown multicast but it showed me some error when i apply that i must enable   "Broadcast-filter ARP" too. But when i went to "Stateful firewall" at the global menu and try to enable "Broadcast-filter ARP", it can't configured like attachment file.

Thanks.

• 10.  RE: channel utilization : Interference

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 18, 2015 03:29 AM
    Just go ahead and enable it in the virtual ap. The error message is a reminder. Enable it in all of your virtual APS. Do not enable it in the firewall settings.

• 11.  RE: channel utilization : Interference

Posted Mar 18, 2015 05:32 AM

Hi Joseph,Thanks very much for your help, it's so amazing. After i unchecked "cient-aware" and"drop broadcast..." .Channel Utilization is look better like attacment file name "channelbusy3" but it look like we get more interference than before like attachment file name "channelbusy2" and "channelbusy3". So i'm not sure due to cient-aware or drop broadcast... that bring channel utilization to be better. And from "channelbusy3" file, what should be the cause of interference lab colour "red" under channel utlization.

Thanks..

• 12.  RE: channel utilization : Interference

Posted Mar 18, 2015 05:25 AM

Hi Joseph,Thanks very much for your help, it's so amazing. After i unchecked "cient-aware" and"drop broadcast..." .Channel Utilization is look better like attacment file name "channelbusy3" but it look like we get more interference than before like attachment file name "channelbusy2" and "channelbusy3". So i'm not sure due to cient-aware or drop broadcast... that bring channel utilization to be better. And from "channelbusy3" file, what should be the cause of interference lab colour "red" under channel utlization.

Thanks..

• 13.  RE: channel utilization : Interference

Posted Mar 18, 2015 06:06 AM

Hi Joseph,
    Thanks for your help and it's so amazing for me. Due to after i unchecked "client-aware" and set "drop broadcast ..." following your advice, channel utilization it look better. But i'm not sure it's better from which one between client-aware or drop broadcast... .
    And one thing that i see is under Dashboard > Access point > Channel Utilization > .., we will see tab colour that show TX , RX and Interference and by attachment file name "channelbusy3" , you will see a lot of  tab colour red of interference. So what should be the causes of this interference and how can i decrease it?
    Thanks ..

• 14.  RE: channel utilization : Interference

Posted Mar 18, 2015 06:08 AM

Hi Joseph,
    Thanks for your help and it's so amazing for me. Due to after i unchecked "client-aware" and set "drop broadcast ..." following your advice, channel utilization it look better. But i'm not sure it's better from which one between client-aware or drop broadcast... .
    And one thing that i see is under Dashboard > Access point > Channel Utilization > .., we will see tab colour that show TX , RX and Interference and by attachment file name "channelbusy3" , you will see a lot of tab colour red of interference. So what should be the causes of this interference and how can i decrease it?
    Thanks ..

• 15.  RE: channel utilization : Interference

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 18, 2015 09:05 AM

You should remove channel 7 from your regulatory domain profile.

Not all interference is avoidable.