Wireless Access

Upcoming community maintenance Oct. 27th through Oct. 29th
For more info click here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Re: clarification on Master Redundancy and Fast Failover

Did this suggestion work? We're trying this exact same configuration and are not able to get it to work. It seems as though the HA Heartbeats aren't making it between the Master Redundancy pair or something.

On the primary master the heartbeat counters are all zero

(LCPS-7220-1) #show ha heartbeat counters

Heartbeat stats
---------------
Controller IP Active Reference Count Total Heartbeat Sent Total Heartbeat Received Last Missed Heartbeat (Count) Time
------------- ---------------------- -------------------- ------------------------ ----------------------------------
10.32.31.247 0 0 0 0

On my backup master the heartbeat counters are all zero.

(LCPS-7220-2) #show ha heartbeat counters

Heartbeat stats
---------------
Controller IP Active Reference Count Total Heartbeat Sent Total Heartbeat Received Last Missed Heartbeat (Count) Time
------------- ---------------------- -------------------- ------------------------ ----------------------------------
10.32.31.246 0 0 0 0

I've also removed the backup LMS IP address from the AP system profile and only have the LMS IP address defined as suggest in this article and still no go.

Not sure what we're missing???

Highlighted
Guru Elite

What version of ArubaOS and what controller platforms are you using?

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Video Knowledge Base
Remote Access Point Solution Guide
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
ArubaOS 8 ViA VPN Solution Guide
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

We are running:

(LCPS-7220-2) #show image ver
----------------------------------
Partition : 0:0 (/dev/usb/flash1) **Default boot**
Software Version : ArubaOS 6.4.2.8 (Digitally Signed - Production Build)
Build number : 50314
Label : 50314
Built on : Wed Jun 3 12:21:36 PDT 2015

I kept digging and saw another post that AP Fast Failover is NOT possible when also configuring redundant masters. It was suggested if you want/need redundant masters we should go back to using VRRP and directing aruba-master to the VRRP VIP address.

Highlighted
Guru Elite

It (master/backup master) is supported on 6.4 on onwards.  If you have redundant masters, just pointing APs at the VRRP is more straightforward.

If you want to do it (HA/fast failover on master/backup master), this is how you would do it.  In this example, 10.10.1.1 is the master and 10.10.1.2 is the backup master.  These are the controller-ips, and not VRRP or loopback addresses.

On the Master:

ap system-profile "primary"
 lms-ip 10.10.1.1
 bkup-lms 10.10.1.2
!
ha group-profile "Cluster-A"
 preshared key presharedkey
 state-sync
 controller 10.10.1.1 role dual
 controller 10.10.1.2 role dual
!
ap-group "Cluster-A"
 ap system-profile "primary"
!
ha group-membership Cluster-A

On the Backup Master:

ha group-membership Cluster-A

backup-lms is required in case of controller failure and AP reboot.

NOTE:  Inter-Controller heartbeat is not needed/supported in master/backup master deployment.  The APs should be pointed at the VRRP for master discovery (aruba-master, DHCP option)

If you are terminating APs on a master/backup master pair, it is much more straightforward just to point the APs at the VRRP using your discovery method and in the LMS-IP.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Frequent Contributor I

Hi Colin;

>If you are terminating APs on a master/backup master pair, it is much more straightforward

>just to point the APs at the VRRP using your discovery method and in the LMS-IP.

My understanding is that pointing the APs lms-ip address at the VRRP would not give fast failover.  Am I missing something?  

I'm just getting ready to make the same migration from VRRP master/standby to a dual/dual HA group with a pair of 7040 controllers.  Currenly we do AP discovery with the VRRP address and the lms-ip is unset.

Andrew

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Andrew,

You can either do VRRP-based failover or use the instructions above to do Fast Failover with Master/Backup Master.  It is your choice.

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor I

I noticed your configuration put the controllers in the dual role.  Will the APs still load balance (as in the "active/active deployment mode" in the docs) with the controllers in a master/backup master configuration?  Or does setting the backup lms-ip override this feature? 

Highlighted
Guru Elite

The APs do not load balance.  The only reason for making both controllers DUAL is so that they can assume any role.  Again, the real strength of HA is realized in a master/local situation or an N+1 oversubscription situation.  If you have a master/backup master it is easier to configure vrrp-based redundancy which has never been too shabby in the failover department.

With regards to the fast failover configuration, the backup-lms is only to guard against if the master fails and the APs also reboot in a master/backup master scenario.  Again, it is more straightforward to configure VRRP-based redundancy in a master/backup master scenario.

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor I

Thanks for claifying that Colin. That darn salesguy told me FFO was the best thing since sliced bread though. :)

So the choices are;

1. master redundancy and VRRP AP failover (simplest)
  2. master redundancy and N+1 AP fast failover ("hitless" failover)
  3. master/local and N:1 AP fast failover with load balancing (most complex)

Option 3 appeals to me because I've been burnt before by standby systems that weren't connected correctly and then didn't work during failover. With load balancing you always know if both units are operational. But to get that I'd have to give up all of the other benefits of controller redundancy.

I think I'll go check with the magic 8-ball.

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Andrew Bell,

You should only do #1, because that is what the manual says to do if you are using master redundancy deployment model here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_64x_WebHelp/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/VRRP/HighAvOverView.htm

Fast Failover/HA is designed for more complex deployments than the one you are deploying.  There are some people that need to deploy master/ local and don't have the option for master/redundancy either because they cannot co-locate two controllers in the same datacenter or other reasons.  Those people should do Fast Failover/HA.

VRRP based failover has existed for a number of years and it works very well, if configured properly.  Fortunately, it is also easy to configure.

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: