Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

client VPN with AOS8.4 without PEFv license / no VIA

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  client VPN with AOS8.4 without PEFv license / no VIA

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 31, 2019 11:10 PM

Is this possible with stand-alone controller without the license as long as I have PEF license?  No PEFv license 

I attempted to do this but I keep getting log error No VIA license

• 2.  RE: client VPN with AOS8.4 without PEFv license / no VIA

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 01, 2019 03:40 AM

To use the VIA remote access client VPN, you will need a LIC-VIA (8.x per concurrent connection) or PEFV (per box with concurrent sessions up to the appliance limit) license.

If you like to test the feature, your partner can assist you in getting evaluation licenses.

• 3.  RE: client VPN with AOS8.4 without PEFv license / no VIA

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 01, 2019 09:04 AM
    He man. I am trying to set up VPN without the VIA client or the PEFv license.

I know how to setup via and everything with PEFv but you use to be able to setup client VPN without VIA license without via client with just the PEF license.

• 4.  RE: client VPN with AOS8.4 without PEFv license / no VIA

Posted Feb 01, 2019 01:08 PM
    Are you trying to do a site to site VPN?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

• 5.  RE: client VPN with AOS8.4 without PEFv license / no VIA

Posted Feb 12, 2019 07:56 AM

Hi Herman, so it's VIA license OR PEFV license. When would we choose the one or the other?

• 6.  RE: client VPN with AOS8.4 without PEFv license / no VIA

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 13, 2019 06:47 AM

PEFV is the old way of doing it (legacy), the LIC-VIA is the new way which was introduced I think in ArubaOS 8.2 or 8.1.

Today, both models are still available and you can select either where the PEFV gives most value if you have a lot of concurrent users on a controller or if you run ArubaOS 6.x. LIC-VIA is better for future deployments and if you want to start small or stay small on concurrent VIA users, and it works for virtual controllers as well. It might be that the LIC-PEFV will go end of sales somewhere in the future.

In short: go for LIC-VIA, unless you have good reasons to get PEFV.

• 7.  RE: client VPN with AOS8.4 without PEFv license / no VIA

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 13, 2019 05:18 PM

I guess my question can be better stated this way.

With AOS8.3...

Can I set up a simple VPN on a controller where the clients just utilize their native built in VPN client to connect to the controller, without a VIA or PEFV license? Or is the license still needed even if the VIA client is not utilized? 

The controller has a public facing interface. 

• 8.  RE: client VPN with AOS8.4 without PEFv license / no VIA

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 13, 2019 05:45 PM

PEFV is only required for VIA VPN.  Any other type of EDIT: Client VPN, a license is not required.

• 9.  RE: client VPN with AOS8.4 without PEFv license / no VIA

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 13, 2019 10:11 PM

That is what I thought. I have set one up but when I try to connect with android or windows native client, it errors out. And in the controller logs the reasoning it gives is .... no VIA license. 

• 10.  RE: client VPN with AOS8.4 without PEFv license / no VIA

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 14, 2019 09:23 AM

Unfortunately, I just found out that all client VPN connections in ArubaOS 8.x require the VIA license.