Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

client associates on wrong channel

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  client associates on wrong channel

Posted Oct 24, 2019 11:04 AM

Hi guys, 

I'm troubleshooting a problem at the moment, that I can't wrap my head around. 

We are running AOS 8.4.0.4 with our MM and our 4 member 7220 cluster.

We have android phones and iPhones that connect to our 802.1X SSID, the problem only seems to exist on 2.4Ghz. The authentication works fine, but some clients connect to the wrong channel and then say that they do not have network access. 

Most connect to a different AP, get an IP, then roam to the AP in question and don't work anymore. The clients stay on the same desk the whole time.

I can see the not working clients on the controller associated to the same AP as the working clients, but they associate on a different channel. I tried to manually bandsteer them to 5Ghz with the arm move-sta command, they change back to 2.4Ghz not long after and again associate to the wrong channel. 

The AP in question is a 345, it broadcasts on channel 1 and most clients work fine. At the moment only 2017 Samsung A3 show these connection problems and reboots seem to help sometimes, but not always. 

show airmatch tech-support ap-name XXX shows me the last channel change was by AirMatch from 11 to 1.

I have added two pictures from the show user mac XXX command, the iPhone is working, the samsung is not. The BSSID is the same but I deleted it from the screenshot.

Do you think this is just some strange driver error on the samsung or can I do something to troubleshoot this further? 

I will contact TAC, I just wondered if maybe someone had some similar problem in the past.

• 2.  RE: client associates on wrong channel

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 24, 2019 12:09 PM

Wrong channel or wrong access point?  Ultimately the client makes the decision about what access point it associates to even if we try to influence it. 

• 3.  RE: client associates on wrong channel

Posted Oct 25, 2019 04:53 AM

Thanks for the response.

The AP is the same. The AP works on channel 1 but these Samsung clients associate on channel 6 for some reason. 

The problem is not that the client is on the wrong AP, but on the wrong channel and traffic can not flow. Other clients work fine on this AP on channel 1.

When I manually roam the clients to another AP, the client works. After it roams back, it is on the wrong channel again.

• 4.  RE: client associates on wrong channel

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 25, 2019 07:00 AM

What is the output of "show ap active"?