Wireless Access

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

client connecting issue

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  client connecting issue

Posted Nov 25, 2015 09:10 AM

Hi,

I have a device 802.11n 5Ghz,i could see that client is conneting 2.4ghz radio instead of 5Ghz?

Why does it happening ?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: client connecting issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 25, 2015 09:11 AM

Because clients do whatever they want.

You can encourage it to connect on the 5ghz by making sure that the 5ghz radio is 6db is stronger than the 2.4ghz radio on the same AP.

• 3.  RE: client connecting issue

Posted Dec 03, 2015 06:24 AM

Hi,

Could you clarify , how can  i do that 

Thanks

• 4.  RE: client connecting issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 03, 2015 06:26 AM

Is this an Aruba Controller deployment or an Aruba Instant Deployment?

• 5.  RE: client connecting issue

Posted Dec 03, 2015 07:30 AM

The free space path loss is higher for 5GHz than for 2.4 GHz. So 5GHz signal get attenuated more for the same disatnce and clients tend to connect to 2.4 GHz if the signal strength is below a threshold based on client's driver algo.

To address this problem Aruba came up with a feature called "Bandsteering". Once you enable this in either "Prefer-5GHz" or "Force 5GHz" or "Band balance" modes, clients connection to 2.4 GHz would be denied initially and clients will made to prefer or forced to connect to 5GHz or client count balanced between 2.4 & 5 GHz.

You can find more information about this on:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/What-is-the-band-steering-feature-and-how-does-it-help-us/ta-p/172154