Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

cluster upgrade AOS 8.x

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  cluster upgrade AOS 8.x

Posted Aug 03, 2020 05:16 AM

I did a cluster upgrade last week but for 18 APs and 2 x controllers it was taking around 90 in the whole live upgrade process...downloading the new AOS around 5 min.

So I'm thinking about upgrade a bigger site..around 200 APs, cluster build on 2 x controllers..this will take more than 10 hours for sure with this live upgrade.

is there anything on Aruba config to speed up this cluster live upgrade process for a large number of APs ?

• 2.  RE: cluster upgrade AOS 8.x

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 03, 2020 05:43 AM

What takes a long time is "partitioning".  To make it so that there are fewer coverage holes during an upgrade, Areas where there is little coverage are upgraded one AP at a time, vs. dense areas where APs are upgraded in groups.  Cluster Upgrades can definitely take a long time if you have sparse coverage.  If you have an upgrade window for a couple hours, and you can tolerate an outage you can load the upgrade code to all of your MDs and reboot them all at the same time, to save time vs. a cluster upgrade.

The speed of cluster upgrades is improved in AOS 8.7, but you need to be on 8.7 in the first place to reap the benefits.

• 3.  RE: cluster upgrade AOS 8.x

Posted Aug 03, 2020 10:10 PM

Just as another data point, I have a two controller cluster with about 1,300 APs. Upgrades take around four hours total, with APs preloading in batches of about 150 at a time.