Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

combine radios for survey with Ekahau

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  combine radios for survey with Ekahau

Posted Jun 06, 2016 05:29 AM

Hello,

Our wireless survey team is having trouble with APs we use for surveying. Individual radios are showing as separate APs. We have just moved to using Ekahau (ESS). The survey controller uses a very simple config. Is there something on the controller to solve this, or is this more likely an issue with the Ekahau set-up?

Many thanks

• 2.  RE: combine radios for survey with Ekahau
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 06, 2016 05:34 AM

You should be able to solve this problem within the Ekahau software.  Use the instructions here:  https://docs.ekahau.com/index.php/Working_with_the_Access_Point_List#Replacing_Single-MAC_and_Multi-MAC_Access_Points

• 3.  RE: combine radios for survey with Ekahau

Posted Jun 06, 2016 05:38 AM

Thanks Colin, I had just arrived at that page as well! Apologies, I was probably a bit quick off the mark asking in the forum. I believe our wireless manager has tried combining the radios but we will try revisiting that in the light of those instructions... 

• 4.  RE: combine radios for survey with Ekahau

Posted Jul 25, 2016 11:40 AM

Hi Colin,

Sorry to reopen this, my colleague was previously asking about this.

We still cannot get the radios to combine when using ESS. They appear seperate whenever we do a AP on a stick style survey. Either (survey) controller based or instant survey AP based. Ekahau recommend turning on advertise AP name, which we have done on the controller based APs but this feature isn't supported for the instant APs. 

Either way, we can't combine the radios, automatically or manually (the option is greyed out). On large surveys in particular this makes them very complicated.

Interestingly, when surveying deployed APs, it combines the radios automatically!

Any help would be appreciated,

Alexander.

• 5.  RE: combine radios for survey with Ekahau

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 26, 2016 04:36 AM

Are you surveying with an access point that has multiple SSIDs or multiple bands that you want to have combined?  Did Ekahau say how they detect the same AP for combining and why it would not work on Instant?

• 6.  RE: combine radios for survey with Ekahau

Posted Jul 26, 2016 07:37 AM

Hi Colin,

Only one survey SSID but dual bands, 2.4 and 5. We want EES to realise that the dual bands are part of the same AP. It happy does this on our deployed CAPs if we survey what is in place already. It just won't do it on our survey APs.

I don't know re your second question but I can reach out to them again.

Thanks,

Alexander.

• 7.  RE: combine radios for survey with Ekahau

Posted Aug 19, 2016 07:01 AM

Hi Colin,

Is there anything further on this stuation?

Thanks

Alexander.

• 8.  RE: combine radios for survey with Ekahau

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 22, 2016 07:35 AM

If you have a case with Ekahau, please pass it onto us so we can speak with them directly.