Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

de-auth with BackTrack <> Only detection is available with RFP / WIP module? No protection?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  de-auth with BackTrack <> Only detection is available with RFP / WIP module? No protection?

Posted Dec 08, 2013 08:52 AM

Hi AirHeads,

de-auth with BackTrack <> Only detection is available with RFP module? No protection at all?

Is there any way to block de-auth to go the our clients ? (Because I tested it today in my lab..And except logs under security - I passed on every WIP configuration - and I saw nothing about de-auth protection)

- using backtrack with AirCrack/AirPlay with MAC of Aruba AP and MAC of Aruba client... causing the clients to disconnect - even with WIP/RFP ON.

Please advise. (I might doing something wrong ?!)

Thanks,

Me

• 2.  RE: de-auth with BackTrack <> Only detection is available with RFP / WIP module? No protection?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 08, 2013 10:26 AM

@kdisc98 wrote:

Hi AirHeads,

de-auth with BackTrack <> Only detection is available with RFP module? No protection at all?

Is there any way to block de-auth to go the our clients ? (Because I tested it today in my lab..And except logs under security - I passed on every WIP configuration - and I saw nothing about de-auth protection)

- using backtrack with AirCrack/AirPlay with MAC of Aruba AP and MAC of Aruba client... causing the clients to disconnect - even with WIP/RFP ON.

Please advise. (I might doing something wrong ?!)

Thanks,

Me

There is no real protection for this within the 802.11 standard.  If a client receives a spoofed deauth, there is nothing to authenticate that the deauth was really received from the access point it was connected to.  This is choice that the client makes and there is nothing that can be done about it.   The 802.11w standard attempts to fix this, but not many wireless clients support it at this time so implementing it on the infrastructure side would have limited impact.  Please contact your Aruba Sales team so that we can be aware of any initiatives involving clients that support this standard. 

• 3.  RE: de-auth with BackTrack <> Only detection is available with RFP / WIP module? No protection?

Posted Dec 08, 2013 10:28 AM

Thanks on the info - i already also contacted the se's regarding this question.