Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

enabling QOS for traffic inside an AP's tunnel?

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  enabling QOS for traffic inside an AP's tunnel?

MVP
    Posted Jul 30, 2013 05:19 AM

Thinking about end-to-end quality of service I'm a bit stuck at how to apply QoS to voice traffic when its inside an AP's GRE or IPSEC tunnel. 

Anybody have any ideas as to how to 'prefer' certain traffic inside a GRE tunnel? For IPSEC I'm stuck right? Only way to get some QoS here for the wired network is enable it for the entire ipsec stream?

• 2.  RE: enabling QOS for traffic inside an AP's tunnel?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 30, 2013 07:41 AM
    The way I understand this, is that we will append the tunneled packets with the appropriate diffs serv values.

These values only got applied to the traffic you are prioritizing.

• 3.  RE: enabling QOS for traffic inside an AP's tunnel?

MVP
    Posted Jul 30, 2013 07:43 AM

yes, but doesn't that mean that my voice traffic gets no QOS from AP to controller since it's encapsulated in gre or ipsec?

• 4.  RE: enabling QOS for traffic inside an AP's tunnel?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 30, 2013 07:47 AM
    No. We apply QOS on the wired side pockets as well even if they are GRE or IP sec. The appropriate DSCP or 802.1p values are written to those packets.

Sent from my iPhone

• 5.  RE: enabling QOS for traffic inside an AP's tunnel?

MVP
    Posted Jul 30, 2013 07:51 AM

Ok, good to know.

This is dynamically then?QoS traff: gre/ipsec tagged. No QoS traffic: no gre/ipsec tagged?

• 6.  RE: enabling QOS for traffic inside an AP's tunnel?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 30, 2013 07:52 AM
    Yes you are correct. That validated reference design will explain in greater detail.

Sent from my iPhone

• 7.  RE: enabling QOS for traffic inside an AP's tunnel?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 16, 2014 08:37 AM

sorry to jump in on an old thread, but does that mean a misconfigured device that is marking all it's traffic, will not necesarily get marked with QoS on the GRE packet, unless it is hitting an Aruba ACL that does specify QoS markings?

• 8.  RE: enabling QOS for traffic inside an AP's tunnel?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 30, 2013 07:50 AM
    This is from the 802.11n validated reference design.

The LAN that is between the AP and the mobility controller must recognize and prioritize DCSP-marked traffic
    through the network. When in tunnel or decrypt-tunnel mode, the AP translates WMM marks into DSCP marks
    and places them in the GRE header so that the intervening network properly prioritizes traffic. Similarly, the
    core must respect the QoS marks from the mobility controller to the multimedia servers.
    It is critical that all devices in the network be capable of and configured for QoS support. Switches and the
    multimedia servers themselves should mark traffic appropriately. Failure to ensure end-to-end prioritization
    can result in unpredictable performance for these applications.