Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

external antenna and "auto" provisioning (using ap group default)

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  external antenna and "auto" provisioning (using ap group default)

Posted Mar 23, 2015 08:46 AM

Hi,

If I understand correctly: to provision AP's connecting to the controller for the first time automatically, so they start broadcasting SSID's, I need to link the vap profiles to the default AP group.

I noticed a AP204 not getting provisioned (in the default AP profile), with flags U and I (Unprovisioned and Inactive). To get this AP provisioned, I needed to set the antenna gains. Is there a way to allow AP's with external antenna's to get this configuration automatically? The goal is to have a setup where new AP's immediately start working after physical installation. This to have mimimal downtime during a migration from another wireless solution (other vendor).

Krs,

Dante

• 2.  RE: external antenna and "auto" provisioning (using ap group default)

Posted Mar 23, 2015 10:00 AM

Hi,

Yes it is possible, you can set the env variable "group" as <required group name> through the apboot mode and attach antennas so that AP can determine the default gain automatically.

Ex:

If your desired apgroup is "testGroup" then,

apboot>setenv testGroup

apboot>save

apboot>boot

Please ensure that APs fixed with antenna otherwise you have set the gain value manually(setenv a_ant_gain <gain>) and which is very difficult because the gain value will be in coded format :)

Please feel free if further clarity required

• 3.  RE: external antenna and "auto" provisioning (using ap group default)

Posted Mar 23, 2015 10:05 AM

HI,

Sorry, there is a mistake,

it is

apboot>setenv group testGroup

apboot>save

apboot>boot

• 4.  RE: external antenna and "auto" provisioning (using ap group default)

Posted Mar 23, 2015 10:52 AM

Hi Venu,

I guess you are talking about the AP console port? That's not really an option when deploying/replacing 500+ AP's, imho. If I need to boot every AP in a staging environment before mounting them (because connecting to each mounted AP on-site would be redonkulous), I would try something else: like booting every AP in a staging environment, letting them connect to the controller and provisioning the AP's with the GUI. But that's not what I'm looking for, I'm looking for an automatic provisioning, without intervention of any kind. So that when the access points are mounted they start working and servicing SSID's from the start.

Krs,

Dante 

• 5.  RE: external antenna and "auto" provisioning (using ap group default)
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 23, 2015 11:01 AM

Hi,

Zero touch provisioning is possible only with RAP not with CAP.

Otherwise you have to map all your VAPs to default Apgroup. in order to pick up default APGroup all your AP should have connected with antennas to determine the default gain.

Please feel free if any further help required.