Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

firmware upgrade suggestion

This thread has been viewed 15 times
  • 1.  firmware upgrade suggestion

Posted Jan 02, 2020 05:26 AM

Hi all,

I want to upgrade firmware to 8.x for APs and there have AP-215 and AP-315 models here. now the controller Aruba 7010-RW firmware version is : 6.5.4.15

Would you please recommend me which AP ArubaOS is better with version 8.x?

I am new in Aruba , possible my description is not clear, please explain directly. thanks a lot!

rgds,

Andrew Chan

• 2.  RE: firmware upgrade suggestion

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jan 02, 2020 05:35 AM

You can upgrade to the latest AOS8.x however as part of the upgrade process you will need to factory reset the controller.

At the time of writing the latest AOS8.x release will support your APs.

https://www.arubanetworks.com/en-gb/support-services/end-of-life/

Within the AOS8.x upgrades, there is two "standards" of firmware. Either a Conservative Release (CR) or a Standard Release (SR).

The Conservative Release tag signifies a release has been deployed in multiple customer production networks. Conservative Releases can be considered as the “gold standard” or “go to” releases within the Aruba WLAN portfolio. Aruba recommends the adoption of Conservative Releases in any customer’s production network.

The Standard Release tag signifies a release introducing significant new software features and/or hardware platforms. Any customer interested in benefiting from new software features or hardware platforms are encouraged to upgrade to a Standard Release. Standard Releases always complete a thorough quality assurance and test cycle before posting and becoming available to all customers. After adoption by multiple customers, Standard Releases may be “promoted” to Conservative Releases.

• 3.  RE: firmware upgrade suggestion

Posted Jan 02, 2020 10:57 PM

Sorry for mistake, the AP models is AP-315 and AP-325, not 215/315..

Is it support AOS 8.x yet?

Would you please recommend me which AP ArubaOS is better with version 8.x?

• 4.  RE: firmware upgrade suggestion

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jan 03, 2020 03:37 AM

Yes, take a look at the below.

https://www.arubanetworks.com/en-gb/support-services/end-of-life/

I don't understand the below, can you elaborate?

'Would you please recommend me which AP ArubaOS is better with version 8.x?'

Are you asking which AP works better with AOS8? If you want all supported features then consider an 11x (e.g AP5xx) however you should be considering the model suitable for your environment first. The previous link will tell you if a certain AP model works with AOS8 on not. The feature set shipped with that AP is dependant on the generation of that AP. 

• 5.  RE: firmware upgrade suggestion

Posted Jan 02, 2020 12:57 PM

i would work with your local Aruba rep and see if you can get a temperary controller for the upgrade. use the temp controller to install on code you have now and the same config. upgrade the temp controller and then test in a lab setting. then you can start moving APs to the temp controller, upgrade your controller then move the APs back. We did soemthing like this since we needed upgraded 7240xm controllers for the AOS8 OS. this allows you to move back to the working 6 code if there is an issue.