Wireless Access

last person joined: 8 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

gre striping

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  gre striping

Posted Dec 06, 2017 04:51 AM

hello airheads,

we have a customer that are going to be using campus 325 Access Points connected to a HPE\Aruba 2930M switch.

They would like to have both ethernet ports connected and as a consequence i am setting up with the gre-LACP-striping.

does anyone know what the switch configuration should be that the AP ports are connected to.

cheers

pete

• 2.  RE: gre striping

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 06, 2017 05:01 AM

Real Talk:

Setting up GRE striping is complicated with LACP.  It also consumes extra resources like adding an extra ip address to each controller.  That is in addition to configuring switchports and troubleshooting why LACP is possibly not coming up.  In an environment with high density, where you are not running 80mhz channels, it is rare, due to contention, that the traffic passing through the ethernet of the AP can even approach 1 gigabit.  In addition, your uplink from the switch the AP is connected to is typically only connected via a single gigabit ethernet port, limiting your actual throughput.

Long story short, if I were your friend, I would say it is not worth it to configure GRE striping.

With that being said, I will let others advise you on how to set it up for the 2930.

• 3.  RE: gre striping

Posted Dec 06, 2017 05:31 AM

thanks for the information Colin,

so if we ditch the ap-lacp-striping idea but want resilience for the AP's using both ethernet ports can we create trunks on the 2930M switch and connect up both ports from the 325?

thanks again

pete

• 4.  RE: gre striping

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 06, 2017 05:36 AM

You can certainly plug the AP325s 2 ethernet ports into 2 different switches for redundancy, but the AP will still have to reboot if the power is cut on one port.  (you would not need to configure a trunk)  It is not a hitless failover.  Only the 335 supports that.  Please see the thread here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/PoE-Power-to-Both-Ports-on-AP-225/m-p/135173

• 5.  RE: gre striping

Posted Dec 06, 2017 06:12 AM

thanks Colin,

really useful information as always.

have a great day.

pete