Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

has anyone had issues with ADP packets on enterasys k switches

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  has anyone had issues with ADP packets on enterasys k switches

Posted Nov 08, 2013 12:47 PM

I am bringing up a new site. The controller is on the first floor in vlan 2100 and there are APs on the 2nd floor in VLAN 2200. I need the 2nd floor APs to hit the controller one the first floor. Watching the ENV of the AP during boot up I see the ADP multicast and broadcast go out but they are never answered. We have IGMP turned on on the switch but running a trace on the controller port I never see the MUlticast get through. Any help?

• 2.  RE: has anyone had issues with ADP packets on enterasys k switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 08, 2013 01:25 PM

Is is more important for you to get the AP to work or get multicast working on the Enterasys switch?  If getting the AP working is more important you should use DNS a-record of aruba-master or set Options 43 and 60 in your DHCP server to point to the controller  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_63_Web_Help/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/AP_Config/Deploying_APs.htm.  If getting multicast working is your priority, we wait for someone who has configured this on enterasys to chime in.

• 3.  RE: has anyone had issues with ADP packets on enterasys k switches

Posted Nov 08, 2013 01:43 PM

Thanks for the reply Colin. The APs that we received for this site have a problem where they don't run on AOS ver. 6.1.2.7 which is what we are on throughout the rest of our enterprise. We upgraded the controller here to 6.2.1.2. So you see my problem is that unless the AP uses ADP to get to the controller here it will go to our aruba-master which has 6.1.2.7. If the options in the DHCP setup are easier , so be it. I also read in another post that for ADP to work the controller and the AP have to be on the same layer 2 network. Is that true? Thanks again.

• 4.  RE: has anyone had issues with ADP packets on enterasys k switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 08, 2013 01:47 PM

@dglav60 wrote:

Thanks for the reply Colin. The APs that we received for this site have a problem where they don't run on AOS ver. 6.1.2.7 which is what we are on throughout the rest of our enterprise. We upgraded the controller here to 6.2.1.2. So you see my problem is that unless the AP uses ADP to get to the controller here it will go to our aruba-master which has 6.1.2.7. If the options in the DHCP setup are easier , so be it. I also read in another post that for ADP to work the controller and the AP have to be on the same layer 2 network. Is that true? Thanks again.

dglav60,

Thanks for explaining and telling me what is important to you.  If you set the DHCP options, they will override your DNS entry if it exists.  For ADP to work you need to either have the controller on the same layer2 subnet or setup multicast on your layer3 switch to forward the multicast.  For many people that is not trivial.  Which kind of DHCP server is serving the subnet with the access points?  That will determine how easy or hard setting up Option 43 and 60 is..

• 5.  RE: has anyone had issues with ADP packets on enterasys k switches

Posted Nov 08, 2013 01:48 PM

We are using Infoblox for DNS and DHCP

• 6.  RE: has anyone had issues with ADP packets on enterasys k switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 08, 2013 01:56 PM

Okay.  Here is something that was sent to me for infoblox

To use option 60, then you would use a DHCP filter to trigger the correct response. Data Management -> DHCP -> IPv4 Filters to get to the triggers. Give the trigger a name, then the next step is to set up the trigger rule. Go with option 60 here, then on the next page we can customize the option 43 (string ArubaAP) response. No need to set extensible attributes for the trigger rule which is the last step of the wizard. 

Go to the DHCP range that needs to be modified (or the IPv4 Filter can be applied globally), Data Management -> DHCP -> Networks, and under IPv4 Filters, you can add the filter that was created above under the Logic Filter List. 

You could also make this part of a DHCP template so that new DHCP ranges automatically contained the filter or option.

• 7.  RE: has anyone had issues with ADP packets on enterasys k switches

Posted Nov 08, 2013 02:04 PM

Thanks Colin.

• 8.  RE: has anyone had issues with ADP packets on enterasys k switches

Posted Nov 11, 2013 09:46 AM

Colin

I am not a DHCP person by any strech. In option 60 is that where the ArubaAP is entered and in option 43 the ip address of the controller?

• 9.  RE: has anyone had issues with ADP packets on enterasys k switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 11, 2013 10:03 AM

Option 60 is the string "ArubaAP" (without the quotes).

Option 43 is the ip address of the controller as ascii text.