Wireless Access

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

high Frame loss with RAP

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  high Frame loss with RAP

Posted Aug 20, 2017 03:57 PM

I'm attempting to use a RAP's wired port to tunnel traffic from a remote office router though the internet to a router inside our network attached to a wired port on the controller. I have gotten everything working but when I use our network test equpement EXFO FTB-1 ethersam testing I get high frame loss. When using point to point 3rd party MPLS networks we never have any frame loss. I tried lowering the MTU to 1280 on the interface vlan the wired ports use but still no change. I'm able to ping with out any loss but I should be getting better results from our test I even ran RFC 2544 test same results. If you have any ideas maybe why this is happening please post. 

• 2.  RE: high Frame loss with RAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 20, 2017 04:37 PM

On the VLAN interface of the wired port (let's say the wired port is assigned to vlan 2 on the controller), you should enable bcmc optimization:

config t

interface vlan 2

bcmc-optimization

That will stop broadcasts from the wired side from going into the RAP tunnel.

• 3.  RE: high Frame loss with RAP

Posted Aug 20, 2017 08:14 PM

We’re going to be using OSPF between the 2 routers on those wired ports will BCMC optimization cause a problem with OSPF we are not planning on enabling any VAPs.

I tried this and the 2 test devices were not able to connect I'm assuming they are using broadcast to see one another which is what OSPF uses as well. I disbaled bcmc connected it then re-enabled it ran the test again got 90% frame loss didn't really make any difference either way. 

• 4.  RE: high Frame loss with RAP
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 20, 2017 08:33 PM

I honestly don't know.

OSPF in the equation is an advanced topic in this scenario.  You should open a TAC case so they can see your topology and come up with a possible reason why it is not working.