Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

homekit (mDNS) problem over several APs

This thread has been viewed 70 times
  • 1.  homekit (mDNS) problem over several APs

Posted Mar 30, 2020 04:53 PM

Hello,

could you please advice what could fix my issue? I have setup of three APs (207) and issue with Homekit via iPhone. If my phone is connected to the AP which has role of controller then it is everything working perfectly, but if my phone is connected to any other AP (roaming) then Homekit stop to work. The VLAN is spread over all APs, but the server (Home Assistant) is located in different VLAN behind firewall. I have attached snapshot of configuration to see what is configured. Do you have any idea what else to check? Thank you very much. Pavel

• 2.  RE: homekit (mDNS) problem over several APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 30, 2020 06:06 PM

Do other mDNS services work? What is the firewall being used? mDNS leverages multicast in order to communicate, and most firewalls will block this by default. If the firewall sits between the user vlan and the vlan where the Home Assistant resides, the firewall could be blocking the traffic attempting to flow between these two devices.

From each of your APs, if you use the command "show airgroup servers", do you see the Home Assistant listed as a server on each AP?

• 3.  RE: homekit (mDNS) problem over several APs

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 30, 2020 06:10 PM

Have you tried enabling "Enable AirGroup across mobility domains" just to see what happens?

• 4.  RE: homekit (mDNS) problem over several APs

Posted Nov 01, 2020 02:54 PM
      |   view attached
    Hi,
    I was desperate so leave this issue for a while. But seems that solution is pretty simple - is enough just to disable all airgroup options and then it works! Homekit is working from all APs without issue. I have also forget about communication between different VLANs via FW and simply have client and server in same VLAN. Thank you very much for your effort!