Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

how to log the probe request/response frame between the client and AP

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  how to log the probe request/response frame between the client and AP

Posted Apr 17, 2013 06:57 AM

Hi All,

I am using 3400 controller with 6.1.3.2 version and using syslog server for logging the information. I would like to log the probe request/response frames between the AP and the client.

Can any one help me which debugging level i should enable so that i can see the probe request/response frames between the client and AP?

If anyone give me the exact command to be type in the controller then it will be really helpful.

Thank you in advance.

• 2.  RE: how to log the probe request/response frame between the client and AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 17, 2013 07:20 PM

I'm honestly not sure if you can log the probe requests/responses via syslog. And even if you could, it would require A LOT of network traffic even if you had just a handful of APs.

You could, as a test, enable debugging for everything and then parse the logs to see if the probe requests or responses are logged, but since that's almost a layer 1 thing, I would be suprised if we actually push that via syslog. Associations and such likely are at debug, and authentication for sure.

• 3.  RE: how to log the probe request/response frame between the client and AP

Posted Oct 05, 2018 04:46 AM

Hello!

And what about now with the AOS 8.3? Can the probe requests be logged and sent to a syslog? Is it going to add pluss load to controller and network if debugging level is high? Is it recommended?  Can it be done or do I need and ALE engine?

Thanks in advance!

Daniel

• 4.  RE: how to log the probe request/response frame between the client and AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 05, 2018 12:52 PM

dkatai@valkyr.hu wrote:

And what about now with the AOS 8.3? Can the probe requests be logged and sent to a syslog? Is it going to add pluss load to controller and network if debugging level is high? Is it recommended?  Can it be done or do I need and ALE engine?

AMON or ALE would be a better source for this info, rather than enabling debug logging and trying to parse through for probes. If I'm understanding the context behind your question (seeing unassociated clients), AMON and/or ALE (ALE consumes an AMON feed from the controller for this detail) provide this functionality.