Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

how to upgrade a cpsec network

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  how to upgrade a cpsec network

Posted Sep 25, 2013 08:51 AM

Hello,

I'm planning an upgrade from 5.0.3.0 to 5.0.4.12 as a previous step before upgrading to 6.x, my network consists of 1 master and 3 local controllers with cpsec enabled, I'm not sure the steps I should follow to avoid a network outage in the upgrade, I mean:

Upgrading to 5.0.4.12 with cpsec will recreate new certificates for AP and local controllers from master ???, if yes, does it conduct to a network outage until all AP get their new certificate and establish a new GRE encrypted tunnel ???

If I upgrade only a local controller to 5.0.4.12 leaving the master to 5.0.3.0, the master-local could be established ???.

Could I upgrade only the master controller to 5.0.4.12 leaving the local controllers with 5.0.3.0 with cpsec enabled, then pass all AP GRE to master ??

• 2.  RE: how to upgrade a cpsec network

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 30, 2013 11:00 AM

1.  You will have to upgrade all the controllers at the same time

2.  Upgrading will NOT create new certificates; they should all stay the same

3.  You SHOULD NOT upgrade the master only, because that will create issues between major versions of code.  This is not supported, has not been tested, and will cause you grief, so do not do it.

4.  Please have support check your network and review release notes of what you are upgrading to before your upgrade to make sure there are not gotchas you need to be aware of...

• 3.  RE: how to upgrade a cpsec network

Posted Jan 16, 2014 05:25 AM

Thank you cjoseph,

I have upgraded to 5.0.4.12, now we are planning upgrading to 6.2.1.3, I suppose upgrading from 5.0.4.12 to 6.2.1.3 wont create new certificates, ins't it ??

It's only to be sure there will not be any outage due to CPSEC.

Thank you

• 4.  RE: how to upgrade a cpsec network

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 16, 2014 09:14 AM
    What controller models are these?

• 5.  RE: how to upgrade a cpsec network

Posted Jan 29, 2014 03:19 AM

We have 2 6000 controllers with M3 processor (one of them is the master) and two new 7210 controllers intended to replace two 6000 controllers.

So we are running now with 5.0.4.12 and our intention is upgrading to 6.2.1.3, we run  CPSec.

Thank you

• 6.  RE: how to upgrade a cpsec network

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 29, 2014 04:14 AM

You should upgrade the 2 M3s first, and then introduce the 7200 series controllers after it is successful.

• 7.  RE: how to upgrade a cpsec network

Posted Jan 29, 2014 06:16 AM

Upgrading M3 controllers first from from 5.0.4.12 to 6.2.1.3 with CPSec enabled can cause some problem with M3 certificates ??

Will the M3 controllers keep the same certificates ??

• 8.  RE: how to upgrade a cpsec network

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 29, 2014 06:29 AM

Please see the section on upgrading in the release notes here:  http://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/Command/Core_Download/Default.aspx?EntryId=10930

You can upgrade from 5.0.4.x directly to ArubaOS 6.2.1.3.  Make sure you execute a "backup flash" on each controller just in case you have to go back for any reason.

upgrading.png