Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

iPad 2 Issues

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  iPad 2 Issues

Posted Nov 18, 2011 10:24 AM

Hi I'm new to this forum.

We've recently deployed an Aruba 6000 with S111 controllers and AP 105s. We are seeing issues with iPad 2. Once the device auto locks and goes to sleep when it is unlocked it cannot see any wireless networks. The only way to get the wireless working again is to do a full reboot. Has anyone else seen this? If so is there a fix or workaround?

• 2.  RE: iPad 2 Issues

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 18, 2011 10:29 AM

Welcome to Airheads Social!

Yes, many of us have seen these issues. It seems to be intermittent. It seems to be an Apple issue, as it happens to my iPad 1 regardless of what wireless vendor it is looking for.

Is your iPad running 5.0.1? That seems to have helped mine a little bit.

Zach

• 3.  RE: iPad 2 Issues

Posted Nov 18, 2011 10:34 AM

Hi Zach,

Unfortunately it's not just me who's affected, the iPads are used by quite a few senior people at our organisation and I'm getting pressure to sort it out!

I've updated my firmware and will see how it performs.

Thanks

James

• 4.  RE: iPad 2 Issues

Posted Nov 18, 2011 10:32 AM

that weird... i got arubas 3200 on a client and 3400 on a client both got ipads and they have not told me anything about any issue with it...

What version are you using on your aruba controller?

• 5.  RE: iPad 2 Issues

Posted Nov 18, 2011 10:37 AM

Hi,

We're on version 6.1.2.3. We haven't had reports of iPad 1 issues just 2

• 6.  RE: iPad 2 Issues

Posted Nov 18, 2011 10:41 AM

iwill test in my lab next week as we got ipad 2 also for testing...  because  that would be an issue for us also...

But like i isad thats weird that none of our clients  have reported anything... what im not sure if they got ipad1... which woulld seems to be the thing...

• 7.  RE: iPad 2 Issues

Posted Nov 18, 2011 10:46 AM

If you are using an Open SSID with Captive Portal enabled, be aware of the Apple Captive Network Assistant that is implemented in iOS devices such as iPhone and iPad. Here is a knowledge base article on this feature.

• 8.  RE: iPad 2 Issues

Posted Nov 18, 2011 10:58 AM

We do have an open SSID available with limited access to internal resources but the problems are present when connected to an 802.1x authenticated network with mixed mode encryption.

• 9.  RE: iPad 2 Issues

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 18, 2011 11:00 AM

@James Holland wrote:

We do have an open SSID available with limited access to internal resources but the problems are present when connected to an 802.1x authenticated network with mixed mode encryption.

Yes. For my iPad 1, it didn't matter what kind of encryption was being used, as here on our campus we have three right now (open, wpa2-psk, wpa2-aes). This just further proves my belief that this is an Apple issue.

Zach

• 10.  RE: iPad 2 Issues

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 18, 2011 01:19 PM

James, do you have a TAC  case open for this already?

• 11.  RE: iPad 2 Issues

Posted Nov 18, 2011 03:15 PM

This solution seems crazy, but I saw this on an Apple forum.  This may not even be the exact issue you're seeing.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2391395?start=0&tstart=0

• 12.  RE: iPad 2 Issues

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 18, 2011 04:18 PM

The last post in that forum is a year old, unfortunately.  If a TAC case is opened we can certainly target that.

• 13.  RE: iPad 2 Issues

Posted Nov 19, 2011 09:33 AM

We've got a call open with our supplier, I'll ask them to log a TAC case with Aruba.

I've also now had a report of an iPad 1 with the same issue.

• 14.  RE: iPad 2 Issues

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 19, 2011 09:35 AM

@James Holland wrote:

We've got a call open with our supplier, I'll ask them to log a TAC case with Aruba.

I've also now had a report of an iPad 1 with the same issue.

James,

Let us know if you still see the issue in iOS 5.0.1.

• 15.  RE: iPad 2 Issues

Posted Nov 19, 2011 09:41 AM

Will do, I'll let you know how I go on Monday.

• 16.  RE: iPad 2 Issues

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 19, 2011 09:40 AM

That would be good. If you want to do some debugging yourself, this is what we can do:

Turn on debugging for that device:

config t
    logging level debug user-debug <mac address of device>

Next, connect the device and disconnect normally.  Then reconnect, replicating the behavior you mentioned before.  Lastly, obtain the logs for that device:

show log user-debug all | include <mac address of device>

Assuming that you can replicate the issue, we can at least get an initial picture of what is happening from the logs.

• 17.  RE: iPad 2 Issues

Posted Nov 18, 2011 10:50 AM

Thanks, it'll be interesting to see if you find anything

James

• 18.  RE: iPad 2 Issues

Posted Nov 21, 2011 10:57 AM

It looks like the update to 5.0.1 has done the trick. I've been conected all day without a problem. We'll see how it goes tomorrow before we declare a victory!

In the meantime I have advised other users to upgrade.

• 19.  RE: iPad 2 Issues
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 21, 2011 11:01 AM

@James Holland wrote:

It looks like the update to 5.0.1 has done the trick. I've been conected all day without a problem. We'll see how it goes tomorrow before we declare a victory!

In the meantime I have advised other users to upgrade.

Awesome news!

I thought I hadn't seen it since I went to 5.0.1, but I didn't want to say for sure. I honestly can't remember the last time it happened, which means it was likely prior to the 5.0.1 upgrade.

Zach

• 20.  RE: iPad 2 Issues

Posted Nov 23, 2011 09:13 AM

Just to confirm that it looks like upgrading to iOS 5.0.1 has solved the problem. Thanks for your help:smileyhappy:

• 21.  RE: iPad 2 Issues

Posted Jan 16, 2012 08:53 AM

did you tried the IOS 6, i'm facing this strange issue with ,y ipad-2 and 6.1.1.0?

• 22.  RE: iPad 2 Issues

Posted Jan 16, 2012 09:38 AM

Hi, I haven't tried iOS 6.1.1.0 yet so am not aware of any issues. What are the symptoms?

• 23.  RE: iPad 2 Issues

Posted Jan 16, 2012 09:59 AM

I've just checked and the latest version appears to be 5.0.1 so I'm not sure where 6.1.1.1 has come from????

• 24.  RE: iPad 2 Issues

Posted Sep 20, 2018 03:55 AM

This is correct. I also had the same problem after upgrading OS for my Ipad 2.

• 25.  RE: iPad 2 Issues

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 18, 2011 10:42 AM

Another thing you could try is putting your iPad in debug mode and simulate the failure. I still truely believe this issue is an iPad issue, as when mine does it, no SSID will show up at all. Even if I am in the car, and my phone sees 10 SSID. Anyhow, here is how to put your iPad in debug mode on the controller:

Basic Troubleshooting
    1. Put your device in debug logging on the controller: conf t, logging level debugging user-debug your-device-mac

2. Simulate the failure

3. Now look at the logs: show log user-debug all | include your-mac-address

Zach

• 26.  RE: iPad 2 Issues

Posted Nov 18, 2011 10:48 AM

I think you are probably right and the symptoms you describe are exactly what we see, but it never happens at home, I think it may be to do with the dual band radios.

I'll try the debug on Monday when I'm back in the office.

Thanks

James