Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

iPad losing/poor wifi connection

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  iPad losing/poor wifi connection

Posted Nov 14, 2012 05:54 PM

Has anyone else had any issues with using iPads and Aruba access points. At my company we have Aruba 105 access points installed and Windows laptops, Android phones, and window phones all makes and models seem to work just fine with out public wifi. But when i try and use an iPad it will say it is connected to the public wifi but web pages will not load, the app store will not open yet when i connect the iPad to a standalone test internet connection that is not part of our corporate network and is just using a home grade wirless router the iPad works perfectly. Is there a known issue with Aruba access points and iPads?

• 2.  RE: iPad losing/poor wifi connection

Posted Nov 14, 2012 06:03 PM

Does the service have a captive portal on the public service you stated?

If so, your problem is almost certainly that the ipads don't like the certificate in your controller.

• 3.  RE: iPad losing/poor wifi connection

Posted Nov 14, 2012 10:35 PM

Question

So you have no connectivity to nothing? or you connect and some pages works and suddenly its not working at all?

If you have no connectivity to nothing, do you have any ACL or someting blocking to www.apple.com?
     If ipad cannot see www.apple.com it will appear as he is connected he will get the ip address but he wont be able to browse...

This tipically happens when you use captive portal, and thats why i guess racking was asking you.

If you using captive portal you can cal always use a whitelist that appears on L3 authentication.

If its the second in which it works and then it doesnt work  sometimes... then your problem could be the DNS... if you got 2 DNS set up let say you get DSN1 and DNS2

Apple randomly select one no matter if you put DNS1 first, and let say DNS 2 doesnt work, then if he select that DNS then it will not work and you will get that problem, and then if it used DNS 1 which is working perfectly then you will have access...

• 4.  RE: iPad losing/poor wifi connection

Posted Nov 15, 2012 11:21 AM

We did have a captive portal but I removed that last week. We are having the issue with and with out the captive portal

And I can connect and then while browsing some pages will just suddenly not work.

I am fairly new with using Aruba so I will have to dig through my controller config and make sure that the captive portal is totally turned off for that wifi group and i will check out the DNS suggestion. Thanks for the responses.

Ill let you know what I figure out.

• 5.  RE: iPad losing/poor wifi connection
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 15, 2012 11:29 AM

I mention you the part of the DNS because we had a client that had an issue that sometimes the page loads and sometimes it did...

they though it was a firewall problem... but when i went to check there in site i saw that sometimes the DNS request work and sometimes it didnt...

Did a further investigation, i found out that one of their dns wasnt working properly and when the client was doing dns request to the second DNS that wasnt working well he could not resolve the name... i asked my boss which is a fan of mac, about this and he told me that mac randomly select the DNS server is not like windows that it willl use the primary and if it doesnt work then it will use the other....

And well we took out the DNS server that didnt work from the DHCP server and problem solved.

• 6.  RE: iPad losing/poor wifi connection
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 15, 2012 12:52 PM

I think it was the DNS issue. We had 4.2.2.2 for the DNS server to be used and no secondary one. So I removed that and used both of Googles public DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4and it seems to be alot better so far.

Thanks for the suggestion! Saved me alot of time troubleshooting. 

• 7.  RE: iPad losing/poor wifi connection

Posted Nov 15, 2012 01:46 PM

Good to know its working better.  Remenber to mark the solution of the issue with the mark solution button, so someone else having the same issue ca know the asnwer without reading the whole tread

Cheers

Carlos