Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

iPhone6 AND VHT

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  iPhone6 AND VHT

Posted Dec 14, 2015 05:09 PM

Anyone know of issue with slow downloads, uploads normal, on iPhone 6 (and possibly 6S) on an AP-325?  We have tested on other AP's (AP-228 and 205H) and not seeing the issue.  iPhone 5S works normally.  Sorry, not sure which iOS the 5S was running.

Also, we have disabled the 80 and 40 channel usages, but do have HT and VHT enabled in the ARM profile.  

Any info appreciated, thanks.

#AP325
    #AP-300

• 2.  RE: iPhone6 AND VHT

Posted Dec 25, 2015 11:53 AM

i would try here: http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Unified-Wired-Wireless-Access/bd-p/unified-wired-wireless-access

this section is for general feedback on this environment / community.

• 3.  RE: iPhone6 AND VHT

• 4.  RE: iPhone6 AND VHT

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 31, 2015 09:15 AM

dwright@structured.com wrote:

Anyone know of issue with slow downloads, uploads normal, on iPhone 6 (and possibly 6S) on an AP-325?  We have tested on other AP's (AP-228 and 205H) and not seeing the issue.  iPhone 5S works normally.  Sorry, not sure which iOS the 5S was running.

Also, we have disabled the 80 and 40 channel usages, but do have HT and VHT enabled in the ARM profile.  

Any info appreciated, thanks.

dwright,

please try upgrading to 6.4.4.3 to see if you still have the same problem.

• 5.  RE: iPhone6 AND VHT

Posted Dec 31, 2015 09:19 AM

Colin, not sure in case of dwright but if you look to the link that I provided I'm using 6.4.4.3 and experience the same issue with the Iphone6.

• 6.  RE: iPhone6 AND VHT

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 31, 2015 09:23 AM

Jer,

From your build number, it looks like you are running an IAP 325, correct?

• 7.  RE: iPhone6 AND VHT

Posted Dec 31, 2015 09:25 AM

Hi Colin, yes that's right, I'm currently doing a pilot with the new IAP325's.

• 8.  RE: iPhone6 AND VHT

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 31, 2015 09:29 AM

Jer,

Let me check to see if it is the same issue and has been addressed on the IAP side.

• 9.  RE: iPhone6 AND VHT

Posted Dec 31, 2015 09:39 AM

Thanks Colin!

I've currenlty switched of VHT on the Iphone profile. Ofcourse now using AN instead of AC with VHT but with this setup performance on Iphone6 is great.

• 10.  RE: iPhone6 AND VHT

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 31, 2015 09:52 AM

Jer,

I am glad you have a workaround.  Let me see what answer we can get you.

• 11.  RE: iPhone6 AND VHT

Posted Dec 31, 2015 01:16 PM

Colin,

Sorry for not posting this followup after working with TAC.

"Considering that there is an issue where iDevices running on older version (8.3) do not understand when the group-bit is set by an AP in its RTS frame.
    However, iDevices running on newer version (9.1 and above) understand when the group-bit is set by an AP in its RTS frame."

Note that I have not personally been able to verify that the issue only shows in the older OS versions and believe it may be present in version 9.x on at least some idevices as well.

TAC's workaround, other that turning off VHT mode:

"Having said that the 6.4.4.3 code has a knob with respect to this,
    In the rf ht-radio-profile, there is another field - “Protection mode” which would have two values:

Auto – WLAN driver will automatically decide Static/Dynamic/Legacy RTS based on VHT rates and channel BW.
    Legacy – Legacy RTS behavior.

This will be applicable for VHT radios and the default value will be Legacy."

• 12.  RE: iPhone6 AND VHT

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 31, 2015 01:22 PM

Dwight,

The fix is in there for ArubaOS code, but not for Instant (IAP) , unfortunately. Instant 4.2.0.0 4.2.2.0 is targeted for the fix.

• 13.  RE: iPhone6 AND VHT

Posted Jan 05, 2016 05:16 AM

Thanks for your reply.

You mentioned the issue being fixed in 4.2.0.0 for Instant. However, I'm using 4.2.2.0 Instant and experience the issue with this code.

Let me know what you can find regarding a future fix on instant.

I've also done the same test on an iphone6 with IOS8.3, but exactly the same issue appears.

Thanks!

• 14.  RE: iPhone6 AND VHT

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 05, 2016 06:52 AM

I mean the fix is targeted for Instant code 4.2.2.0.  (Only 4.2.1.1 has been released). There is no specific for the release however.  I will repost when it is scheduled to be released.

• 15.  RE: iPhone6 AND VHT

Posted Jan 07, 2016 06:09 AM

Thanks Colin. Currently I'm using code 4.2.2.0 but this is still a early build.

Hopefully this issue is fixed in the GA version so I can utilize the AC performance in the Iphones6 as well.

• 16.  RE: iPhone6 AND VHT

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 07, 2016 07:54 AM

Jer,

Like I mentioned in the other thread, please speak to the person who gave you the early build so that your issue is addressed.  They should be able to collect the relevant information from you so that they can zero in on your problem.

• 17.  RE: iPhone6 AND VHT

Posted Jan 07, 2016 08:19 AM
    Is this issue there in 4.1 as well?

• 18.  RE: iPhone6 AND VHT

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 07, 2016 08:47 AM

The Op using beta software.  Period.

• 19.  RE: iPhone6 AND VHT

Posted Jan 07, 2016 09:00 AM

IAP325 does not run on software version lower than 4.2.2.0, so I cannot tell if the issue is also present with 4.1 and AP325. I do know that this issue is also reported using AP325 (see initial post).

As mentioned I know that this code is not GA, I'm just asking if there might be any config/setting preventing the AP to form a cluster (except the l2 and same model and software requiements). Also is there any CLI command to monitor the cluster proces in detail, becasue that might help me and to send detailed feedback to Aruba.

If this should be a plug and play feature than it surely must be something in the instant software, and I will have it addresses to my local Aruba contact.

• 20.  RE: iPhone6 AND VHT

Posted Jan 07, 2016 09:15 AM
    Definitely 325 does not run 4.1 but other 200 series APs do and support VHT like the 225 so was wondering if it was an issue there as well

Pasquale Monardo
    Conseiller Principal Solution Réseaux, Opération | Senior Network Solutions Consultant, Operation

T 514 385-4448 #204 DATAVALET.COM

5275, chemin Queen-Mary, Montréal (Québec) H3W 1Y3 Canada

CE COURRIEL AINSI QUE CES DOCUMENTS JOINTS peuvent contenir des renseignements confidentiels et privilégiés. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire désigné, veuillez nous en informer immédiatement et effacer toute copie. Merci. THIS EMAIL AND THE DOCUMENTS ATTACHED may contain privileged or confidential information. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original message. Thank you.

• 21.  RE: iPhone6 AND VHT

Posted Jan 07, 2016 09:17 AM

@cjoseph wrote:

The Op using beta software.  Period.

understood.

• 22.  RE: iPhone6 AND VHT

Posted Feb 02, 2016 09:45 AM

opened a case at TAC and received the latest beta firmware which solves the issue on IAP325.