Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

if I make a change on a single AP Group especially SSID profile%2C does that reflect to all AP Group

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  if I make a change on a single AP Group especially SSID profile%2C does that reflect to all AP Group

Posted Mar 18, 2015 12:32 PM

My Question, if I make a configuration change on a specific AP Group's SSID Profile does the change reflects on all the AP Groups that this SSID Profile been called?

If so it's highly impacting option, this has made a severe impact to our production when I changed the SSID Profile setting including password on a specific AP Group, it has made big outage and impacted our production.

We are under the impression whatever related changes make in a specific AP group will be effected to that group only, any expert suggestion what's the best practise. 

My intention was to configure a set of new AP groups to accomodate Wireless services to a newly deployed controller.

I highly appreciate the comments and suggestions. 

Thank you in advance.

George 

Bangalore

• 2.  RE: if I make a change on a single AP Group especially SSID profile%2C does that reflect to all AP Group

Posted Mar 18, 2015 12:58 PM

Hi,

Aruba uses profile based configuration to achieve the code reusability. here SSID profile is an config object and where ever you map it will be mapping to the same object hence modifying the profile will effect all the AP-Groups where ever you map that SSID profile.

Hope got some clarity on this.

• 3.  RE: if I make a change on a single AP Group especially SSID profile%2C does that reflect to all AP Group

Posted Mar 18, 2015 01:06 PM

HI,

As a best practice, we always create new SSID profiles and will reuse the AAA profile for each AP-Group ( VAP profile ).

In your scenario, I believe, trying to deploy new wireless for different set of users but they may undergo similar type of authentication. correct me if I'm wrong and share your need so that I can give you a suitable deployment solution.

Please feel free to come back.

• 4.  RE: if I make a change on a single AP Group especially SSID profile%2C does that reflect to all AP Group

Posted Mar 18, 2015 09:37 PM

HI Venu,

I appreciate your response.

If that is the case, deploying a new AP Group is little sensitive and may lead to catastrophic situation, If the SSID profile is global specific it shouldn't be allowed to modify locally to a specific AP Group, because most of us would be under the impression is whatever change we make within an AP Group would make an impact to that specific group only.

I think Aruba has to do something to prompt a warning message "this change will take effect to global settings, all AP-Groups, do you want to continue [Y/N]?"

My deployment.. i have couple of new aruba controllers an I was in preparatory phase of making additional AP groups and rest of the settings to accomodate the migration of APs from existing Group into new AP Group. 

Thank you again

George

• 5.  RE: if I make a change on a single AP Group especially SSID profile%2C does that reflect to all AP Group

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 19, 2015 12:35 AM

georgemangil,

Profiles being global is fundamental in ArubaOS.  There is no warning, because that something that is fundamental.  There is a "show reference" button on the right side of each profile so that you can see if a profile is in use anywhere else.

• 6.  RE: if I make a change on a single AP Group especially SSID profile%2C does that reflect to all AP Group

Posted Mar 19, 2015 02:25 AM

HI Coleen,

I agree with your point stating Profile is global.

However, there is a risk associated by tweaking the parameters within an AP Group even if the profiles are being called inside. One change in one AP Group may have hazardous effect on all other AP Groups is my understanding based on experience.

Regards

George 

• 7.  RE: if I make a change on a single AP Group especially SSID profile%2C does that reflect to all AP Group

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 19, 2015 02:29 AM

Yes,

That is the way it works, so you have to keep that in mind.  If you want something to be unique, you need to create something new.  Those are the rules and we do not warn users, because they should know that, already.

• 8.  RE: if I make a change on a single AP Group especially SSID profile%2C does that reflect to all AP Group

Posted Mar 19, 2015 07:37 AM

If you only modify profiles under Configuration>All profiles, this will help you to remember that you are doing things that may affect a number higher level profiles/groups. Its a good idea to always click on the "Show references" button in the top right just to check where the changes will have an impact.

• 9.  RE: if I make a change on a single AP Group especially SSID profile%2C does that reflect to all AP Group

Posted Mar 20, 2015 12:20 AM

Thank you for the response.

I would consider  "show references" as a passive mechanism of protecting global settings being impacted. My though process is why we should allow modification of global settings within AP Group. AP-Group is a substance of all Groups, if make any changes either it should warn us actively or do not allow the Global settings to be modified with AP Group. Global settings has to be modified globally rather than locally, means within an AP Group. 

Regards

George