Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

license more than controller capacity

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  license more than controller capacity

Posted Nov 09, 2016 10:08 AM

i have one 7030 controller as a master , and 2X7210 controllers as a locals . i want to apply 700 AP license . can i apply it on the master controller knowing that its capacity is 64 AP . when the centralized license is enabled .

• 2.  RE: license more than controller capacity

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 09, 2016 10:29 AM
    Your master controller should be of equal or larger size of the locals.

• 3.  RE: license more than controller capacity

Posted Nov 09, 2016 11:13 AM

you mean i can't use 7030 as a master and 7210 as a local ????

• 4.  RE: license more than controller capacity

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 09, 2016 11:14 AM

In general, it's not ideal to use a 70xx controller as a master for the 7200 controllers. However, a 7030 running as a master, if the AP counts are kept below 256 APs and the total user counts kept below 4000 client devices, then you would be fine. However, if you are applying a 700 AP license to a 7030, that would indicate you are going above the supported AP level that a 7030 can support as a master and you may run in to master performance issues. So keep an eye on that and if you start seeing issues, you may need to ugprade your 7030 master to a 7205 minimum.

You CAN apply a larger license to a 7030 running as the license master without issue, the AP count will be added to the pool. But see above, me thinks you should look at upgrading your master if you are at or over 256 APs total :)

• 5.  RE: license more than controller capacity

Posted Nov 09, 2016 11:20 AM

thank JHoward , 

you mean it will work but i will face issues if the AP exceed 256 . but please be noted the APs will be terminated on the local !

how can i know the capacity of the controllers as a master ?

• 6.  RE: license more than controller capacity
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 09, 2016 11:28 AM

Understood the APs terminate on the locals, but the masters still do things like ARM, WIDS, config management and some data is upreported to the master. The 7030 has a max client count of 4096, so assuming 16 users per AP, that's a max reporting AP count of 256 APs (that's the genesis of the limits when we note scalability for masters). 

In general though, 7000 controllers should be the master for other 7000 controllers, 7200s are masters for 7200s. 

That said, there's no hard limit that prevents you from over-subscribing the 7030 as a master. So just be aware if there are issues with the master in terms of stability or performance, the likely culprit will be that the 7030 is overloaded from a pair of 7210s with maybe 1000 APs and more users than the master is able to support. 

• 7.  RE: license more than controller capacity

Posted Nov 09, 2016 11:33 AM

aha , i got your point , anyway mu users will not be more than 1000 user and this number of APs is only for coverage . 

i will consider your opinion in the design  thank you 

• 8.  RE: license more than controller capacity

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 09, 2016 11:58 AM

Sure thing, give it a shot, if you start to see issues you know what the likely cause is, and if not, you are no worse for wear. Good luck!