Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

license requirements - air monitor/spectrum monitor

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  license requirements - air monitor/spectrum monitor

Posted Aug 02, 2015 08:31 AM

Hi

I need a confirmation that to deploy air monitor I must purchase only LIC-AP license and to deploy spectrum monitor I must purchase LIC-AP and LIC-RFP. Thanks in advance for quick response!

Regards,

Mathew

• 2.  RE: license requirements - air monitor/spectrum monitor

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 02, 2015 09:38 AM
    That is correct. You'll need an equal number of RFP, AP and PEFNG licenses on your controller.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 3.  RE: license requirements - air monitor/spectrum monitor

Posted Aug 02, 2015 09:50 AM

Hi Tim,

You wrote that it is correct but next you wrote that I ll need an equal number of RFP, AP and PEFNG licenses on your controller but in my opinion PEFNG is not mandatory.

Regards,

Mathew

• 4.  RE: license requirements - air monitor/spectrum monitor

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 02, 2015 09:55 AM
    That's correct. If you don't have any PEF licenses (not common), then you just need an equal equal number of AP and RFP. All licenses in use just have to be equal.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 5.  RE: license requirements - air monitor/spectrum monitor

Posted Aug 02, 2015 10:06 AM

I will give you an example:

I would like to deploy: 51 APs which work in access mode, 25 which work as air monitor and also 25 which work as spectrum monitor so I will need 101 lic-ap, 51 lic-pefng and 25 lic-rfp, won't I?

Regards,

Mathew

• 6.  RE: license requirements - air monitor/spectrum monitor
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 02, 2015 10:09 AM
    You will need 101 of each if they'll all be on the same controller or in a master-local cluster with centralized licenses. Licensing is 1:1.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 7.  RE: license requirements - air monitor/spectrum monitor

Posted Feb 09, 2017 04:49 AM

Hi

I'm aware of the limitation that you will need an equal amount of AP, PEF-NG and RFProtect to operate the total amoutn of AP's on a controller.

What about locals. We have a customer who has a local controller for a seperate geographical location, and this location does need Air Monitors, but the rest is not in such dire need. This local allready has 20 AP and PEF-NG licenses that is counted on the master (centralized licensing), but are used locally first.

Do i need RFProtect for all no matter how this is connected?

Roar Fossen

• 8.  RE: license requirements - air monitor/spectrum monitor

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 09, 2017 05:41 AM

To be clear, the RFProtect License is needed for spectrum monitors, not air monitors.

The short answer is YES you will need 1 of each license.  The long answer is you should consult your local Aruba Sales person or engineer to see if there is any other way to design it so that you do not need the RF protect license for the last controller.

• 9.  RE: license requirements - air monitor/spectrum monitor

Posted Feb 09, 2017 05:57 AM

Hi

I thought this was the case aswell, that i didn't need RFProtect for AirMonitors, but at the moment all AirMonitors on the local controller is flagged with ID.

On the master however, they are seen as up and in working condition.

Need to have a look at it from a different angel

Roar Fossen

• 10.  RE: license requirements - air monitor/spectrum monitor

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 09, 2017 06:03 AM

Once you add a license to the system, they must all match.

If you add another controller and licenses are missing, those APS will have an "L" flag.  It has nothing to do with Air monitors.

• 11.  RE: license requirements - air monitor/spectrum monitor

Posted Feb 09, 2017 06:06 AM

Hi

I'm aware of that, but i dont get an L on the AM, but I and D. The AP group for AM's are empty regarding virtual AP's, but that is ok. In my lab AM's a without flags. Something else is the problem.