Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

limitations in an all-master deployment

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  limitations in an all-master deployment

Posted Jul 03, 2015 05:29 AM
    Hello,

in all VRD's are explained, that the recommended deployment is with master and locals controller. In some scenarios it is possible to deploy it with controllers, that have both functions of master and local. The only Limitation ive understand, is that i need an AirWave instance for configuration and WMS Database and a few monitoring limitations.
    For what Do i need additional controllers, if i can Do all with the controller i have?
    There are more limitations?
    Can i seperated all-master controller in a type mobility Domain with seperate SSIDs?
    Where is this documented?

Thanks for all

Steffen
    #ALE

• 2.  RE: limitations in an all-master deployment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 03, 2015 06:36 AM

An access point typically tunnels all user traffic back to its local controller, so you typically want a fast LAN between your access point and its controller.  If you have an area where you would need some access points, but there is no fast connectivity between the access points and the controller, you might consider putting a controller where those access points are.

A master controller is a controller where you can make changes to the configuration.  A local controller points to a master controller and the global configuration is replicated from the master to the local.  You cannot make changes to the global configuration on a local controller.  The master and local typically need to be on the same major version of ArubaOS.

An all-masters deployment is one where you would have all masters and no locals.  An all-masters deployment  If you wanted all of the configurations of the masters to be consistent, that is where you would need Airwave to synchronize the configurations automatically.  An all-masters deployment offers you to the flexibility to run different major versions of ArubaOS.  It also makes it simple where you have a divided administrative domain (One site wants the freedom to upgrade/downgrade and make changes of other sites), and you need to flexibility to make changes on one controller without affecting other controllers.

• 3.  RE: limitations in an all-master deployment

Posted Jul 03, 2015 06:44 AM

HI,

Deployment method will change with requirement, if you have a big network and you want to have Client traffic management as distributed and Configuration management is Centralised, you need Master-local else if the deployment is limited to a single location and small then we can deploy Standalone means Client traffic and Configuration both will be managed by t he same Controller.

Please share your requirement so that I can suggest a deployment model, Master-Local or Standalone.

• 4.  RE: limitations in an all-master deployment

Posted Jul 03, 2015 11:54 AM
    And what is the solution / idea behind the Master local construct. Now i cant see advantages with one or two more controllers for masters. I can use AirWave for configuration and Management with all functionality, redundancy mechanism and license pooling? In AirWave i can use group configuration for controller that takes together.

Thanks for all

Steffen

• 5.  RE: limitations in an all-master deployment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 03, 2015 12:03 PM
    Steffen,

Configuration of multiple using Airwave is an advanced topic so not everybody uses it immediately. Also not everybody has Airwave, so having a local(s) tied to masters will easily sync the configuration.

Colin Joseph
    Principal Network Engineer
    Aruba Networks, an HP Company
    cjoseph@arubanetworks.com
    512-240-2227

• 6.  RE: limitations in an all-master deployment

Posted Jul 03, 2015 12:56 PM
    Colin,

thanks for your statements. Actual i am very confused. I begann to read all the available VRDs. In this is always speak from Master and Locals and his redundancy concepts. Only one short paragraph about All-Master deployment with AirWave and his limitations. This made the Impression, that Master local is the standard deployment and in exceptions you can deploy one controller with both funtions.
    The Aruba engineers propose the same deployment.
    Now, with this informations i mean that the better and cheaper deployment is all master.
    We have at our costumer 3 separately areas with about 900 Access Points. With Own SSIDs and Own vlans. All on a big campus. A production area with wireless is a important access network layer.
    For this, i understand it is possible to roll out controller for each area as master only construct with configuration instance of AirWave. In AirWave i can use configuration groups for controller area 1, 2 and 3. For each area i can save 2 controller .
    Continue to i can implement high availability for Access points, Central license management or redundancy concepts?
    I missing updated VRDs with the new possibility of new features and Design concepts.

Thanks for all

Steffen

• 7.  RE: limitations in an all-master deployment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 03, 2015 01:00 PM
    If it's the same campus, why wouldn't you just use master-local? Do you have
    a specific reason for wanting to use all master?

• 8.  RE: limitations in an all-master deployment

Posted Jul 03, 2015 01:05 PM
    Cost reason, if there are no limitations in a all-master construct

• 9.  RE: limitations in an all-master deployment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 03, 2015 01:06 PM

How many APs are at your smallest site?

• 10.  RE: limitations in an all-master deployment

Posted Jul 03, 2015 01:08 PM
    Area 1: 750
    Area 2: 900
    Area 3: 1400

• 11.  RE: limitations in an all-master deployment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 03, 2015 01:12 PM

OK. If you're not able to add another controller (which will provide the best failover), then yes, you'll have to all-master with L3 / backup-LMS failover. You'll need to make sure your controllers are fully in sync via AirWave so that things like groups are synchonized between the controllers.

• 12.  RE: limitations in an all-master deployment

Posted Jul 03, 2015 01:19 PM
    We think about 2-4 controller in each area for redundancy.

• 13.  RE: limitations in an all-master deployment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 03, 2015 01:46 PM

You could simply add a 7240 controller as a master which would serve as a both a master and failover controller for the 3 locals.

• 14.  RE: limitations in an all-master deployment

Posted Jul 03, 2015 01:56 PM
    Then i think i have the First limitation. In an update we made the experience to update one area leave it for 2 weeks and update the next.
    It is not possible to create AccessPoint groups while 1 master controller is primary and another is backup.
    I dont need the extra controller or?

• 15.  RE: limitations in an all-master deployment

Posted Jul 03, 2015 09:53 PM

Hello guys,
    I have a MSR2000 with two radios. The data link is via its Ethernet port. I wonder if I can configure both radios to work as to spread coverage

Thanks,

Luiz

• 16.  RE: limitations in an all-master deployment

Posted Jul 04, 2015 07:22 AM
    Hello topgyn,
    open a new Post. The theme is not right here!

• 17.  RE: limitations in an all-master deployment

Posted Jul 04, 2015 09:47 AM

Okay,

thanks.