Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

looking to expand our WLAN coverage, what app should we choose?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  looking to expand our WLAN coverage, what app should we choose?

Posted Jan 20, 2016 04:06 AM

we are now using one AP-105 connected to our Aruba Controller (6xx). We would like to add another AP-105, but it seems they are no longer sold. Should we go with a AP-103? Will they work together nicely? (make clients roam from 1 app to the other automatically etc)

And can we safely assume that an Instant 103 can be converted to a normal (AP) 103?

• 2.  RE: looking to expand our WLAN coverage, what app should we choose?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 20, 2016 08:09 AM

In your example - only 2 APs - I would recommend just using IAPs without the controller. The 650 controller is end of lifed and at the same cost, the IAP205 which is 802.11ac capable would be the natural replacement for the AP105 you have deployed. 

If you are intent on keeping this controller, then the AP205 can still work.  I would still order the IAP variant as they can be converted to controller managed APs. 

• 3.  RE: looking to expand our WLAN coverage, what app should we choose?

Posted Jan 20, 2016 08:15 AM
    We're also using the Aruba Controller for VIA and for several RAPs, so we're not planning on getting rid of it.

End of lifed? I Thought we had untill october 2019?

Why do you advise the 205 instead 103? Does the 103 not play together nicely with the 105? The 103 is the cheaper option for us (if it works).

• 4.  RE: looking to expand our WLAN coverage, what app should we choose?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 20, 2016 08:18 AM

End of Life and End of Support are 2 different dates.  Your 2019 date is correct. 

The reason for the 205 vs the 103 is all about future proofing your network. What I am proposing is that you are getting the 205 at the same cost as the 105. The 205 has more RAM, faster CPU, and supports 802.11ac which will serve you well into the future. The tradeoff obvisouly is cost comparing the 103. Either AP will work but I'd recommend the IAP version no matter what hardware you choose. With that choice out of the factory, you have more flexibility to run with or without the controller.

• 5.  RE: looking to expand our WLAN coverage, what app should we choose?

Posted Jan 20, 2016 08:23 AM
    Allright. Clear. Thank you.